Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

37Blanche, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 generator replacement 1102022
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
found this on spider marine's website. says it crosses over for use as a replacement for the delco 1102022 from 55.

i was thinking about getting this and putting on the delco tag myself. taking off the stickers.

this is 189 shipped. that seems reasonable considering i need a new armature. the two i have are toast.

http://www.spidermarine.com/ShowItem/105821%20Delco%2012%20Volt%2030%20Amp%20Generator.aspx

anyone use this place or bought this unit before already.

thanks,

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (17.23 KB)
491_4ffb0a3e4a906.jpg 534X492 px

Posted on: 2012/7/9 11:41
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 generator replacement 1102022
Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Since I'm not a purist, let me suggest installing an alternator and putting the Delco label on it? I have alternators on both my 55s - They work fine and look pretty authentic. An alternator is a necessity since air conditioning will be installed.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2012/7/9 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Bernardi,

Could you post a pic or two on that alternator you've installed. Many thanks.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 20:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An alternator is a necessity since air conditioning will be installed.

I have to disagree with that, the factory generator is more than capable of handling A/C, just as it was when the car was new.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 20:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
When I changed from positive to negative ground, the alternator was installed. The air conditioning folks, and others, claimed that an alternator was a necessity. The current draw with lights on and radio and a/c going full blast, a generator wouldn't handle the load. At idle, in particular, the battery would be drained.

If that advice was wrong, I'm happy to hear the original generator would handle the load. My experience with generator equipped cars is that at idle the lights dim and the amp meter shows discharge.

Bernardi

Kevin -

I'll try to put a photo on tomorrow.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 22:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My experience with generator equipped cars is that at idle the lights dim and the amp meter shows discharge.

Yes, that's true of course. But as soon as you resume driving the consumed current is replaced so it's really only a possible problem is a car is idling for VERY prolonged period, like for example a police car or ambulance at an accident scene. A/C equipped cars with generators did not suffer from chronic dead batteries in the course of normal use. Successful A/C installation did not have to await the advent of the alternator.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 8:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
For what it's worth, I carry that same generator for $175 + shipping. That is a Wilson reman which is a large remanufacturing company that used to be out of Canada and is now out of Mexico, yes we lost yet another one to Mexico! That is not remanufactured by spidermarine themselves. They (Wilson) don't sell direct to the public, but through rebuilders like myself.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 9:29
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Jason,

I got your emails and i'm mulling over my options.

thanks for the help.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/7/10 11:00
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry,

These Delco 12-V generators are a dime a dozen. You should be able to find countless ones that you could rebuild yourself and save tons of bucks. Just mix and match the parts. That's what I would do.

(o[]o)

P.S. I gave a working one away to another person on the site when I switched it out for an Auto Lite. I did it for the shipping costs. Sorry...

Posted on: 2012/7/10 22:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Owen -

It occurred to me that the advice to install an alternator when putting in the a/c may be because an electric fan was also recommended. I don't believe electric fans were available in the 40s and 50s. Whatever the reason, right or wrong, the alternator is on and the ground is now negative.

I do appreciate your comment. There is always something to learn on this site.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2012/7/11 0:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved