Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 141

Packard Don, BigKev, Jack Vines, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Starter Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I drive my 1954 Cavalier regularly

6 Volt system.

Recently the starter cranks slowly the first couple of compression strokes and then comes up to normal speed.

Usually the engine starts almost instantly.

The generator is charging to about 8 Volts, I have one of those Optima 6 volt Battery's which is probably more than several years old.

With an accurate meter at the battery the slow crank pulls the 6 volts down to 3.5 to 4.0 then it goes up to 5.0 something and then cranks at the normal speed.

I use battery cables (I made) that are very heavy gauge copper wire and I verified almost no voltage drop on the starter cables to the starter.

I popped the band off of the starter and the brush's and commutator look OK, no sign of arcing, the armature moves slightly toward the back when its cranking but I can't feel side play in any direction.

I drive in Phoenix AZ and the temperature is in the 110 range, the car starts quicker when cold (95 degrees than when hot (110).

Usually the starter cranks quite vigorously.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/7/27 14:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Starter Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are other possibilities like a bad ground just for example but your symptom is consistent with advanced ignition timing. I'd advise checking the timing before devling into anything else.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 14:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
After Stressing that I may need to rebuild a starter I determined the problem is the battery.

My car was using one of those 6 volt Optima Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) 6 volt batteries which normally cranked the car quite well.

The AGM batteries seem to fail differently than the old regular liquid filled car batteries.

I had the same problem with an AGM battery on my Harley from the day it was new and finally in desperation I bought a new one and no problem since.

I temporarily removed the 6 volt battery from my Model T Ford and dropped it in the Packard and it now cranks at light speed.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/7/30 16:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Jim

You used "Model T Ford" and "light speed " in the same sentence.

Good job !!!

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2012/7/30 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
The Model T Ford doesn't go real fast but it goes real steady :)

And you don't need a battery to start it.

You do need to short the generator output terminal to ground (car frame) if you run without a battery; lets see if that raises questions

Jim

Posted on: 2012/7/31 13:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
lets see if that raises questions

Been there, learned my lesson.

You could also just open (disconnect) the field terminal to get the same result, no?

Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Jim McDermaid wrote:
The AGM batteries seem to fail differently than the old regular liquid filled car batteries.Jim

How old was your AGM battery when it failed?

Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:43
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is that the situation where without a battery the voltage goes way up?

I'll confess to not being up on early third brush oddities so will ask one of the questions -- if you ground the output, what prevents that direct connection to ground from doing damage somewhere in the generator proper -- or without a specific load, does the cutout not operate or close to allow output.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I thot model T fords had a flywheel magneto.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 15:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Knowing I caused trouble here I will further comment.

The Optima brand AGM battery could be more than a couple of years old. The date it was installed was not marked and I have owned the car with the battery a little less than a year. This AGM battery is about half the size of the 6 volt battery I pulled from the model T. The original Packard 6 volt battery was much larger but I'm not sure there are choices these days.

The good part is the AGM leaves room on the battery shelf for the small 12 volt battery that runs the air conditioning.

I believe this Optima is rated at over 900 Amp Hours?

I also replaced battery cables with very heavy wire that is very flexible and I have the braded copper for the + side to the motor as soon as I figure out where to attach it.

Here in Phoenix AZ where the temperature gets well into 115 is death on car batteries especially under the hood.

The discussion comes up regularly in both the Model T ford world as well as the Packard world about 6 volt vs 12 volt and understanding the charging systems.

The Model T Ford uses what is called "Third Brush" regulation and the generator is looking for a load of about 10 to 12 Amps. The 6 volt battery provides the load and keeps the voltage from rising above approximately 7 volts. The old 6 volt lamps usually say something like 6-7 V if you look closely at the bulb. If you turn on the lights the charge to the battery drops accordingly.

If the battery fails open-circuit the model T generator will put out 200 to 300 volts DC looking for a load and eventually burn itself up. If you short it to ground it won't generate at all but the most it could do is 10 Amps which is just fine with it. Last time I had a battery fail in the T, I turned on the headlights and then realized in a flash that I had destroyed both really hard to find headlight bulbs. The model T starts on the 6 volt battery but then you switch to MAG which generates 18 to 20 volts AC to run the ignition coils. This is why T coils don't work so well when used on 6 volts. The magneto is a series of coils placed near spinning magnets on the flywheel. Model T's had electric starter as an option.

The model T charging system at 6 volts, 10 Amps is able to generate 60 Watts of power.

I believe the Packard Generator is good for 40 Amps at 6 Volts which would be 240 Watts of Power.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/7/31 19:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved