Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
50 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 50

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Considering a 1937 Super Eight
Just popping in
Just popping in

Wayne32
See User information
I came upon the following ad for a 1937 Super Eight. It seems to be in pretty good shape and, from my research, 1937 seems like a good year. Does anybody have any opinions or comments on this car? I realize the description and photos are minimal but I can perhaps get more information if it seems a good example, price, etc. All comments will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Wayne

1937 Packard Standard 8 - $29,000 - Vehicle Classifieds For Classic Standard 8s For Sale (CC-367904)

Posted on: 2012/10/19 12:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Considering a 1937 Super Eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There is a lot to like about a 37 Super Eight. First year for hydraulic brakes and independent front suspension on a "senior" car to name two. A bit on the downside is that the 37 Super 8 is really the old 1936 and prior Eight motor, the "true" Super 8 of 36 and back had 65 more cubic inches a a lot more torque so some would say that in the heavier body styles the 37 Super is a bit sluggish. The combination of car weight and power dictated a fairly numerically high rear axle ratio so without modification it would be abusive to make a 70 mph Interstate cruiser - it's more like a 60-65 mph car for highway driving. If that suits your intent, they are are truly fine driving car.

Seems like an attractive price if the car is roadworthy and as good as the photos show. Two things I'd evaluate carefully, the soundness of the wood structure of the body, and the engine - it's an expensive one to rebuild and if it was recently rebuilt, you'd like to know more about who did and and what they did. If the wood structure is bad, fixing it in a closed car would cost far more than you could ever recover.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 12:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
If the car is as good as it looks in the pictures, and if it is mechanically up to snuff, beware of scam. That price is almost too good to be true for a car in that condition.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 13:22
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I know of a similar 1937 Super 8 for sale here in Michigan, very nice car, Brian Joseph complete mechanical rebuild, drives wonderfully--not that cheap, but priced right for the quality and drivability of the car, no blind date.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 15:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Wayne,
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include the '37 Super Eight in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo if you should purchase it!

Posted on: 2012/10/19 23:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Wayne,

Have you heard from the seller? Because i also contacted him regarding the car and left my contact info. No reply as yet. Its been 3 days.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 6:28
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
MrPushbutton,

Unless there is another one, according to the AACA Forums, that onein MI was recently sold and is on its way to Austrailia. It looked gorgeous!

http://forums.aaca.org/f135/restored-1937-packard-super-8-club-321380.html

Posted on: 2012/10/21 16:50
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Wayne32
See User information
Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate the helpful comments. Yes, Rich, I did email the seller and a woman emailed back a day or so later. She told me that her father, who rebuilt the engine, earned his living as a mechanic and that the carpet is in very good condition but she did not answer the several other questions I asked. She promised to send more pictures, as I requested. That was at 12.33 yesterday. So far I have not received the pictures.

I would be interested in the car in Michigan if it has not, as Rich indicated, been sold. Mr. Pushbutton, do you know how to contact the seller to confirm?

Posted on: 2012/10/21 18:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved