Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1948 Deluxe Trim color
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I'm trying to determine what the interior trim paint was called on my 48 Deluxe ( dash, window moldings,etc )- Everything had been painted over EXCEPT the inside rear window frame and underside of dash. The color looks like a medium gray. Don't know if this considered wood grain or not. I saw a listing of wood grains somewhere , but can't fine it now. Thanks

Posted on: 2012/12/9 18:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 Deluxe Trim color
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
To the best of my knowledge all closed car are woodgrained, 48 for the most part are brown toned.

Posted on: 2012/12/9 20:27

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
If you pull a piece of the trim, it may still be painted the base color brown (of the woodgraining)on the back side. It seems that there are diffent shades (of brown) of the woodgrain that year too.

Good luck!

Mark

Posted on: 2012/12/10 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
48s came with either a brown woodgrain, or a grey woodgrain depending on which trim set was chosen. The grey was very attractive and somewhat rarer than the brown.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Yes - That is what mine has - the gray woodgrain - I have seen this color on Packards on the web. As I said - the rear inside window frame was not painted over - still has the gray. Just wondering what it was called - Thanks

Posted on: 2012/12/10 13:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I wonder - the 40 Packard had a grey color in an Aspen wood grain. Grain-It Technology has a sample of it on their website, as does the Packard Club website.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I would like to redo the brown woodgrain trim on my 1950 Deluxe 23rd Series sedan. Is there a better way than hiring an artist?

Posted on: 2012/12/10 23:52
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
DIY-send me an email address and I will send you some inst I got a couple of years ago. It is not hard-just having the guts and patience to try it.

Also I found if you can still see the woodgrain-using furnture cleaner and then urethane to restore the luster.

David

Posted on: 2012/12/11 9:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since you are wanting to redo which would mean substantial disassembly, there are a couple of people here who have used the grain it kits to do their own. Pictures that were posted of the finished items look superb. Some videos of the process are available to give an idea of what is involved & might be an option if you are so inclined..

While the kit price is a factor, unless your dash or a piece or two just needs a tiny touch up I'm sure the kit would be less than a quality artist would charge. I believe the few prices mentioned here by people who have had woodgraining done have been well up there.

As detailed on his project blog, when Joe did his 40 he ran into some early issues. The grain-it people appeared to be right there with help and answers. Perhaps you could touch bases with Joe and with grain-it to get an idea what kit or how much would be needed or involved to do yours. If you are thinking of changing colors they might be able to help in advising the correct combinations.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 10:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
for what it's worth, here is a dash from a 34 Chev I did recently for another car nut here in MT, using the Grain-It kit. It isn't near as easy as it looks in the Grain-It videos, but after a few tries, this is the result. I also did the window frames and dash on my 39 120 using the burl elm pattern. As long as you have a steady hand and some artistic ability, it is a good system. After, the roller and plate system is the same Packard and the other car manufacturers used.

If you click on the photos, they come in clearer.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.56 KB)
1679_50c7eed739b2d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (57.89 KB)
1679_50c7eef2a795f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/12/11 21:42
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved