Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

49 keys
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Could someone please tell me how the keys for a 1949 Deluxe are arranged. That is, are the doors and ignition keyed the same, and the trunk and glove box keyed the same, or all keyed alike? Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 22:23
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: 49 keys
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As you said. Ignition and door. Trunk and glovebox. There may have been differences some earlier years but typically postwar the round key was ignition/door and the octagonal was trunk/glovebox.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.51 KB)
209_50f37b348fe77.jpg 281X382 px

Posted on: 2013/1/13 22:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thank you, much appreciated. Now to get them straightened out.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 3:44

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I went to my local Ace Hardware to get a set of duplicate keys made in case of senior moments, but all they had were aluminum foreign made versions, none of which fit. I later went to one of the old lock shops here in town and had three made in a few minutes for $11.00 (I have a new trunk lock on the car, so I have three keys rather than two). If anyone needs a set of keys, let me know. They are generic keys and don't have Packard on them, but they do work nicely. And cheaper than the ones on Ebay.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 10:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Do not give up on local hardware stores-they found a blank that would work.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 13:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
That's kind of my issue. I only have an ignition key, and it does not work any where else. Going to remove the locks and get a locksmith to help me.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 17:06

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Max Merritt has reproductions for both keys which have the correct logos on the heads. I don't recall how much I paid for them but it wasn't much. My local locksmith cut new keys using the MM blanks - both worked flawlessly.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 18:21
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I had no luck at ACE, Home Depot, or Lowes. Took the keys to a locksmith and he had the blanks and cut duplicate keys for me (very inexpensive).

Posted on: 2013/1/14 18:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Max Merritt catalog has Packard logo ones for $10 each.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 21:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Just got my locks back from the locksmith. One is done as it has broken stuff inside. The other he cut a key that works very nice. Now the dilema. I put the lock back in the door and it does not function properly. Although the door button works fine, when I put the lock in, it will not move. Put the key in and I can move it. I can lock it with the key, but when I turn the key back to the center to take it out, it unlocks the door. Can anyone shed some light on this? Am I missing something? I took the other one apart and there is only one position that the cylinder will lock in to the part the shaft is attached to so the shaft will turn and operate the door mechanisim. To me there has to be something missing that allows the door shaft to turn independently of the lock to the point of working like any ordinary door lock. Am I making sense? I will try to clarify if needs be. Thanks in advance for help.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 12:14

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved