Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Maintenance on lacquer paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
What product should and shouldn't I use on old lacquer paint? It has some water stains that I'd like to get taken care off.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 19:38
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: Maintenance on lacquer paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Try Meguiar's "Cleaner Wax". It did a good job on the black lacquer on my 55 Clipper. You can always go to something more aggressive.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/5 11:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've been maintaining the original lacquer on my 34 Eight for about 50 years now and over those years have used all kinds of products, Simoniz and Blue Coral were the premium paste waxes back then but did need to be preceeded with a mild cleaner. But of late I've used the Meguiar's product that JW noted and am extremely satisfied with it! Of the newer products on the market I've found nothing better or easier to use.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Are you guys using the liquid or the paste?

Posted on: 2013/5/5 15:46

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm using the liquid.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yes, the liquid version. It is easy to apply and remove. I believe it cleans chemically rather than mechanically. Good for removing spots and stains. Did not know there was a paste type.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/5 17:37
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information

Posted on: 2013/5/5 18:27

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
My favorite was always Simoniz. It's a paste wax and doesn't remove material. However, it is a bear to use and the surfaces need to be prepared first. In the old days we used wax and grease remover followed by No7 polish.

I never used Simoniz on cars other than my own because it was so expensive to do, but it sure made my cars look great.
I would do one section a day for a couple of weeks.

I don't know if the new stuff is the same, but I still have a can of 30 year old Simoniz. And it's still good.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 18:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
AstroShield was my product of choice until the company that made it folded up. It was a polish that protected like a wax but doesn't contain wax. When I found out that they went out of business I performed a search on the Internet and got 2 hits...one was an individidual on ebay auctioning a half quart of what was left in a can he had for something like $45.00. The other was gentleman named Ted Patterson who was advertising that he had purchased the last remaining drums of the original AstroShield and was negotiating with the estate of the original owners to purchase the formula. He succeeded and now has it available from his website:

http://wipeoutsystems.com/contactus.html

If anyone is a detail expert then Ted is it and can help with any of your questions or concerns as far as what products you can safely use.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 20:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
An attractive feature about lacquer is that as long as there is paint it will polish and shine.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/5 22:07
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved