Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

359 carb pic and idle & choke question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
OK, I've never done this but how can I set the idle lower and/or set the choke correctly. The car starts and runs good but idles too high.

Attach file:

jpg  (108.76 KB)
1497_51b208cb010fb.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (72.74 KB)
1497_51b208db6bed3.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/6/7 11:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 359 carb pic and idle & choke question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To lower the idle speed, just turn out (loosen) the idle speed adjustment screw which should be on the primary (forward) throttle plate shaft end. I don't recall for a fact but I seem to remember it's on the inboard side of the carburetor, a hex-sided screw pointing forward and downward. It's pictured in the fuel section of the 55/56 shop manual in the section on the WCFB carburetor.

A quick check of the choke is that with the engine fully warm and idling, the choke valve should be fully vertical with just a bit of tension holding it in that position. But it looks like you've got a professionally rebuilt carburetor so you could start by just verifying that the index marks match the specifications, usually stated as something like "2 notches lean" or similar. If not, just loosen the screws holding the round black cover and rotate to adjust.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
As O_D says, the idle speed adjustment screw is on the inboard side of the carburetor. It is not real easy to get to with the exhaust manifold so close. Once you get the idle speed set, then go to the mixture adjustment screws (the brass ones on the bottom front end of the carburetor). A good place to start is to have them adjusted one and one-half turns out. After the speed adjustment has been made, I screw the mixture screws in until the engine starts to stumble, then back out one-half turn. You may have to go back and forth on the mixture and speed adjustments to get the final smooth running idle. Not difficult, just takes a little time. Of course, the distributor points and timing need to be at their specified settings.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/7 13:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I'm a dummy but can you be more specific when you say "inboard side of carb"? I'm going to try and adjust this afternoon.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 14:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Side closest to the engine.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 14:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Look at the lower left-hand corner of this illustration from the shop manual - just forward of the letter "B" - see the hexagonal shaped screw pointing forward and down? That's the idle speed adjustment.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.55 KB)
177_51b23b6e7369f.jpg 405X477 px

Posted on: 2013/6/7 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
great pic, thank you! I assume to turn it out it's Lefty=loosy, righty=tighty?

Posted on: 2013/6/7 15:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, it's a standard right-hand thread. And you may find it easier to turn it with a small open end wrench than a screwdriver due it's position - that's why it's hex shaped.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 15:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Can I go ahead and give it a little turn before starting the engine and it gets hot?

Posted on: 2013/6/7 15:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 15:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved