Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Canister Gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Hello All,

Does anyone know where I can find the rubber gasket for a purolator oil canister? Mine is the larger canister on my 327 inline eight. Approximately 7 inches tall with an inside diameter of 4.5 inches. It takes the Napa Gold 1100 filter.

The gasket that comes with the new filter is much too large.
The old gaskte is torn and will not seal. I a made a gasket from the "rubberized" paper stuff from Pep Boys but that was a failure.

I looked online at Restoration Specialties and came up empty. Max Merritt sells the small filter and gasket.

Any help would be appreciated. It's amazing how a simple oil change can frustrate the heck out of you.

Dezi

Posted on: 2013/6/15 16:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil Canister Gasket
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Napa probably has one that will fit. I did a search for oil filter gaskets and narrowed that down to Napa Gold filters and then gaskets. It came back with quite a few that look promising. Just need to know some closer dimensions to see what they might have.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.01 KB)
209_51bce4309625c.jpg 450X85 px

jpg  (29.58 KB)
209_51bce43b3b72e.jpg 317X897 px

Posted on: 2013/6/15 17:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Dezi, I have 6 gaskets that are used on my two Packard oil filters. A couple will go out on Monday, hope they work for you.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 17:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
It's very important not to over tighten the lid. Too tight and it will leak. 18 ftlbs is what I always used.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 10:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Wix supplies two gaskets of different size with their 51000.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Thanks Dallas for the offer. I will look for them in the mail this week. Good talking to you yesterday.

Howard and Randy: Thanks for the info. If the gaskets from Dallas don't work out I will dig deeper into the Napa Gold and Wix offerings.

Good point on tightening the lid Tim. I will be sure not get too aggressive.18 ft-lbs it is.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 14:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
I thought this would be a good spot to jump in with my oil filter question.

I'm putting together a '48 Custom Eight and I test fit the filter that I got from Kanter. I noticed that the tube in the center of the filter housing is quite a bit smaller than the center hole of the filter. Does that mean that I have the wrong filter, or possibly a cheap "one size fits many" filter? I have had other vehicles with canister filters, and the filters never had so much play when inserted in the housing. I think the filter is a Hastings.

Thanks, Jeff

Posted on: 2013/6/16 21:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Outside diameter of the center inside tube is 9/16" for the original equipment Packard oil filter.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 0:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved