Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 197

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

specialty screw
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A couple of years ago there was a discussion on a small rivet replacement idea. Was a screw threaded as normal but with a nonslotted head which resembled a flat rivet when installed. Believe they were available in several machine screw sizes. Anyone remember what those are called or who carried them?

Posted on: 2013/7/13 9:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: specialty screw
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps you're thinking of threaded rivets? A common piece of hardware widely available. You may find Chris Wantuck's article on the subject of value.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 835.89 KB; Hits: 28

Posted on: 2013/7/13 10:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Howard, => this way please.

Edit: Ok, I have to admid that Dave was faster. But mine comes with an interesting postage stamp from Austria.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.19 KB)
757_51e175533a2cd.jpg 297X375 px

Posted on: 2013/7/13 10:09
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks Dave and Guscha. Threaded rivets are surely the item and that is one discussion.

I seem to remember another thread pertaining to maybe a radiator shutter or possibly a windshield with a different type of rivet being asked about. Believe the poster couldn't or didn't want to use a regular rivet. A threaded rivet was suggested and a vendor with an online shopping cart was linked. I seem to recall a photo of a squared edge and very flat headed rivet lookalike.

It's possible I'm totally in left field but anyone remember another vendor? Restoration supply didn't show quite that look I remember or what I was hoping to find. Theirs seem to be more rounded.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 10:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
A security screw. Looks like half round rivet head. Ihave some gymnasium lockers ca. 1940 - 1950's with such screws. 10-32 thread.

One of 55 56 stb or sc speak of replacing the drivers door window regulator rivet with a "Parker Kalon" screw. Which i believe to be a sheet metal screw IIRC.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 13:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Maybe be a bit more specific. What is it that u r attempring to "rivet" with a screw?????,

Posted on: 2013/7/13 13:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also note that there is a screw head that APPEARS to be a solid half round just like a rivet head. But is actually slightly elipsoidal or not perfectly hemishperical.. i have a nut drive here for such a screw. I don't what is called tho.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Could a threaded rivet be used to attach the chrome trim to the trunk on my 48 ? Thanks

Posted on: 2013/7/13 13:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
On the handle of the scre driver is" #8 AVSAFE. tm. Driver".
Upon very close inspection it appears to fit a solid screw head that is flat on top but slightly VERY slightly elliptical.
This "screw driver" more resembles a nut driver than a screw driver

Posted on: 2013/7/13 13:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Keith, I want to mount a cover that looks like it is riveted. The threaded rivet in a flat head similar to others on the item is what I'm looking for and what I'm fairly sure I remember is available from that other discussion. The closest thing to flat restoration supply mentions is a truss head threaded rivet. If it's like other truss heads, it's too thin and rounded for what I want.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.87 KB)
209_51e1a2bc0fffe.jpg 257X186 px

jpg  (10.43 KB)
209_51e1a2c60c322.jpg 243X225 px

Posted on: 2013/7/13 14:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved