Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 230

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Link to Ford ignition module thread
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
IIRC, we had a thread a few years back about using Ford ignition modules. There was a wiring schematic. Anyone remember this? For some reason, a search didn't find it for me.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/8/7 12:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Link to Ford ignition module thread
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
This thread?

Posted on: 2013/8/7 12:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is another thread on the AACA forum on electronic ign using various modules. Also has a few schematics. The very first link doesn't work but there are schematics farther in. I didn't look all the way thru to see which ones are there.http://forums.aaca.org/f134/25-electronic-ignition-conversion-239490.html

Posted on: 2013/8/7 13:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
This was something I always had on my to do list, but never got around to. One approach is to use the Chrysler module as shown and convert the points to a trigger using an electronic bridge. The second approach is to leave everything original and build an electronic module that converts the points into a trigger for the coil. The second approach eliminates problems encountered with using a Hall effect square wave. Either method results in zero breaker points wear.

If you can find a robust SPDT high speed relay you could also achieve the same result except the condenser would move to the relay and rather than change points you would simply plug and replace the relay and condenser every 25,000 miles. The old radio vibrators were 60hz which works out to 7200 rpm. Even voltage regulators can switch at some very high speeds.

I also think if you added a zener diode to a conventional system you can extend the service life of the points.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.99 KB)
373_5202948a4b40d.jpg 450X346 px

Posted on: 2013/8/7 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Was that, ford, ford,

or Mallory ford, unilite,,,?

I converted the mallory unilte for a ford, to replace points

Posted on: 2013/8/7 14:18
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved