Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 76

Aiden, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

To cormorant or not to cormorant. That is the question.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles.

My apologies to the great Bard, but I've been struggling for sometime a matter of great personal and emotional concern. That is, whether to add a Cormorant my stock '47 LWB Custom Super Clipper. I can't find it in the accessory book for that year, and yet Don Somers sells one. Hyman LTD has a '47 Custom Super with the bird (and fender skirts).
http://www.hymanltd.com/search/Details.asp?stockno=4716&recordCount=48

I plan on selling my car sometime later this year, and I'm concerned about whether the Cormorant will detract from the car's value. I'm in the process of adding fender skirts, which I think make the Clippers look sleeker. The following photos are of Don Somers '47 Cormorant and base, my '47 recently taking a ride, and a close up of the Hyman LTD '47 Cormorant and base.

It's interesting to note that the Don Somers Cormorant seems to sit farther back on the base than the one on the Hyman LTD car.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.68 KB)
338_52fbd0a282d1b.jpg 460X816 px

jpg  (82.78 KB)
338_52fbd0beaed44.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (68.88 KB)
338_52fbd107acb25.jpg 1280X959 px

Posted on: 2014/2/12 14:53
Don Skotty
1938 Super 8 1604 1116 Club Sedan
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Re: To cormorant or not to cormorant. That is the question.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Strictly a personal opinion - I love the Pelican with upswept wings. I am thinking of purchasing one, mounting a magnet under it and placing it on the hood of my Caribbean when parked at car cruises, etc.
It is your car. The Pelican couldn't hurt it.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 15:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There is a book, I believe the name is "Packard Trademarks and Mascots" which should have info on what's correct. I don't have my copy handy but when I get it back I'll check if the question is still open. But I suspect someone will give you the answer before then. But in any case I'd think an incorrect ornament (if it turns out to be so) would have at most an insignificant affect on value of the vehicle so why not do what pleases you.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Don - Well, since you asked - personally, I would not mount the bird on the hood ornament. This is strictly my personal choice. As O_D said, it is your car and do what pleases you.

Incidentally, I was able to find a driver side lower engine compartment splash shield for my 47 Custom. Any luck locating a RH side one for your car?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/2/12 17:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
JW, glad to hear you found a splash panel. Now that's what someone ought to reproduce. My restorer, restored mine. I don't want to think how much that cost, so now, like you, I have both.

Any thoughts why the Somers Cormorant and base appear different from the one on the Hyman '47 (I've asked Mark Hyman this question also)? Of course the photo angles are totally different, but I don't think the birds and bases are the same.

My struggle is this. I like the sleek and clean lines of the original hood ornament, but the grandeur of bird is also appealing. And, since I need to sell "Big Blue", the Cormorant may be a good move from a marketing standpoint.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 17:46
Don Skotty
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hi Don,
My understanding is that the Cormorant mounted on the spear was not an "official" option. That said, I've seen several Clippers that were fitted with the bird (including mine when I bought it) and that would explain why the birds are in different positions on different cars. I also recall seeing a service bulletin showing a pre-war feather with a bird mounted on it.

As you can see, mine was placed farther forward much like the '47 Hyman.

BTW, I have since replaced the spear/cormorant with a stylized goddess. Much harder to find, to me not so flashy and I like it.

For what it is worth, when I bought my car the seller made a big deal about the bird and in my ignorance I thought it was a plus. I thought less of it when I found out it was a customized add on.

Good luck on your sale,
Mark

Attach file:

jpg  (17.90 KB)
4217_52fc035fbc1e9.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/2/12 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
Mark, that is a lovely photograph.

I do like the stylized goddess of speed.

Would you be interested in parting with the bird and spear?

Posted on: 2014/2/12 19:06
Don Skotty
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks Don,
My artistic brother John took that picture whilst we were waiting for a tow truck in Grants Pass, and that's a story all in itself.
I will send you a PM about the bird.
Mark

Posted on: 2014/2/12 20:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I debated with myself about whether or not to get a bird for the Duchess. When she came into my care, she had a big 1948 cormorant. I replaced it with the Goddess of Speed (calling it a donut chaser is like calling San Francisco Frisco).

Here are some cormorants from Point Lobos, and a Goddess of Speed near there at Big Sur.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.91 KB)
1067_52fc1dd433b3d.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (30.04 KB)
1067_52fc1e2b206ae.jpg 593X395 px

jpg  (39.47 KB)
1067_52fc1e34150a2.jpg 587X395 px

Posted on: 2014/2/12 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
It is your choice. When we had my wife's 51 400 we came across a number of Cormorants. I decided to keep an extra good one and I mounted it on my 55 Patrician. Since I am the resident Packard expert in this small community no one argues with me.

Attach file:

jpg  (149.72 KB)
430_52fc279820d8d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/2/12 21:02
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved