Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 200

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Proud new owner with some questions
Just popping in
Just popping in

jaybird622
See User information
I have just purchased a 1956 Packard Patrician and it has left me asking a lot of questions. This is my first Packard experience and I am enjoying it thoroughly so far. I wanted to list some questions to see if any of you could shed some light.

Was this an air car?
The heater core on the left side is missing (need to find one). There is a fan attached to the firewall on the right side of the engine. The lower pulley has space for 2 belts. The fan has 6 blades. There is and air conditioning knob on the dash. There is no compressor (long gone?).

Shift pattern
From what I can tell the shift patter in 1956 should be PNHDLR and this is what the shift indicator reads. However, the second spot when shifting is reverse. So it seems the pattern is PRND.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 17:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Proud new owner with some questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
First, WELCOME to Packardinfo. This is a very helpful community. Also go to
http://www.packardclub.org/
which is the official Packard website and is also very helpful.

Most 56 Packards had a push-button transmission.
It sounds like you have a shift lever to go between gears.
If "R" is next to "P" then you probably have a transmission from some other car, either Chevy or Chrysler.
How about some pics of the car? We would also like to see the door plate which contains the vehicle model and serial number. Also there is a thief-proof number above the heater stamped into the firewall. All this helps to identify your car and how it may be equipped.
Again - WELCOME, glad to have you here.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 17:43
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmy Scichilone
See User information
Yes, it sounds like you have a car with factory air conditioning...congrats! The parts to restore the system should not be too hard to find.....just recently someone on here posted a compressor for sale..... is the condenser still present? It would look like a finned radiator and should be located in front of the normal car radiator.....

Posted on: 2014/2/12 18:02
De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum...Speak Only Good Of The Dead.....
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The factory AC would have had a blower on the firewall on the drivers or left side which also connects to the vent opening at the foot level on that side. Heater core is in a box on the passenger side or right side of engine. The AC evaporator is in a large box that covers almost the entire interior side of the firewall. Is that still present?

Don't remember where this engine compt photo came from but here is a 55 with factory AC. 56 is almost the same except they changed to a pair of mufflers connected by short steel tubes and then hoses on the compressor instead of the copper tubes. The second photo shows the dash. You would have had the two outlet vents on top. Do you still have those and are they in good condition?

Attach file:

jpg  (78.26 KB)
209_52fc01975177f.jpg 940X705 px

jpg  (129.66 KB)
209_52fc01a5cb74c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/2/12 18:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jaybird622
See User information
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome and quick responses, keep um coming. That transmission comment scares me though. I will have to see if I can get under there and identify it. I am working on some photos to show you.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.12 KB)
2288_52fc032628c5f.jpg 1110X832 px

jpg  (109.72 KB)
2288_52fc03893bd4c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/2/12 18:32
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jaybird622
See User information
Here us an interior photo, no vents. The dash has been recovered. It seems that maybe it was an AC car but it was removed a while back.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.92 KB)
2288_52fc054eb4a5d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/2/12 18:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like possibly could have been some other changes. The area shown is not stock. It looks like a cover of some sort and question is what is under -- looks like something electrical. The windshield washer bottle is over under the right fender which is where factory placed it if the car had the push button trans installed. The area in the detail is where the push button relays would have been.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.91 KB)
209_52fc0720a894e.jpg 338X277 px

Posted on: 2014/2/12 18:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Congratulations.
If yours is the car that I am thinking of, it is a very handsome automobile.
I hope to join you soon as a Packard owner myself!

Posted on: 2014/2/12 18:45
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jaybird622
See User information
Anti-thief # 019078 from firewall
Should these match the door tag? Can you find more info on the car with these numbers? Thanks again for all your help!

Posted on: 2014/2/12 18:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day jaybird622,
Congratulations on your Packard purchase and to PackardInfo.

And, I invite you to include your '56 Patrician in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2014/2/13 0:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved