Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 253

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 rear shock absorbers
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Kallman
See User information
Does anyone know what are the appropriate rear shock absorbers for the 1949 Custom Packard? The car has three: one at each end of the axle and one running horizontally, in parallel with the axle. I see them advertised in various supplier catalogs, but not by brand name. What brand do you use for your Packard? Thanks, James

Posted on: 2014/3/26 21:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 rear shock absorbers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The horizontal shock is probably a vendor only or send to a rebuilder item. There was a thread where someone said he had bought a modern shock, cut the original off and welded the modern in its place. I looked at the Ford Pinto shock the poster said he used and not quite sure how it was done based on the shock configuration vs the mounting needs at the upper end of the long Packard horizontal tube. No photos or instructions accompanied the post.

For the two regular side shocks, I just bought the RS101 set from Max for my 47 Custom. The parts manual lists a different part number between 47 and 49 and while the dampening characteristics may be different, I believe they are the same size and will physically interchange.

Max sent AC Delco Advantage Gas Shocks. All the identifying numbers on the boxes were covered with RS101 shipping labels but if the number stamped on the shock is the same and can be cross referenced, it is 751002.

EDIT: Just found an old thread confirming the same set with the 751002 number fits 49 but with questions on if that is a valid interchange number.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3242&viewmode=compact&order=DESC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Posted on: 2014/3/26 22:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Last weekend I installed a set of Monroe shocks. The part # is on the "part x-ref" page on this site. I bought mine from rockauto.com for about $15 each. They fit just fine. Of course I have no way to compare the dampening characteristics to original.

Posted on: 2014/3/27 4:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Here are some part numbers for rear shocks. I've used these on 1941 thru 1950 junior and senior clippers. Sometimes the old shocks were incorrect replacements so I have original as a guide.

Monroe 34803
Gabriel 61500
Delco 751002

As always, a little research goes a long ways.

Posted on: 2014/3/27 7:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
NAPA 94080 as listed in the Parts X-ref fit my Customs well.

Posted on: 2014/3/27 7:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Interesting, I used a different part number than Dallas for the Monroe's... 31094.

Posted on: 2014/3/27 9:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Napa 94080 and Monroe 31094 have same specs, I believe they are one in the same. I have found that Monroe 34803 is the closest (specifications) to Packard rear shock number 384887. There is also another Monroe shock which will work--#37073.

Posted on: 2014/3/27 9:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to know there are several extra options.

Fearing the worst since I all too often buy high and sell low, just compared prices on some of the aftermarket numbers mentioned. Straight shocks were cheaper but when comparing Max's gas shock replacements to Napa's equivalent, surprisingly, Max was competitive. A name brand Delco at a decent price -- lower than both the Napa shocks that appear when doing a search on their site for 94080.

My lazy decision to order from a vendor and not chase all over looking for other options actually worked out for a change.

Posted on: 2014/3/27 10:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
That is good to know. How do we get those #'s added to the x-ref?

Posted on: 2014/3/27 18:13
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Kallman
See User information
Last weekend I was able to scrape all the crud and goop off the rear shocks and the "stabilizer" shock - and found some numbers. After gently wire brushing the numbers and rubbing white chalk over the impressions the following numbers were revealed:

For the regular axle to frame, vertical side shocks:
Pass 4*3/4 Ad-4
Monroe Auto Group
Monroe, Mich.
Pat. No.
(several numbers here)

(that last number is the shock model number)

For the horizontal, stabilizer shock:
B-66
Gabriel
T.M.Reg. U.S.Pat.O.
Cleveland
Made in USA

21908-2369007
Others Pend
Serial 4?08

(I suspect the longer numbers are patents and the last serial number is the model number. Unfortunately, The second numeral is obscured beyond recognition - 4?08)

Thanks for everyone's good suggestions on replacing the shocks,
James

Posted on: 2014/4/1 21:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved