Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 225

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'Sweating' Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Upon completion of a drive, water is seeping from the battery caps on my 6 volt battery (1954 Packard Clipper Super 327 L-8). This has been occurring since I purchased the car three years ago. Should I take this as a symptom of my voltage regulator overcharging? If so, is there a simple way to adjust it? Any other recommendations?

Thanks Again!

Posted on: 2014/3/29 15:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 'Sweating' Battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If its not because the battery was overfilled, then it's probably over-charging. Hard to diagnose when the vehicle doesn't have an ammeter.

Posted on: 2014/3/29 16:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
O_D mentioned the overfill but I would say there is also a good chance it is overcharging. The adjustment procedure is relatively easy and is detailed in the electrical section of SM but ---

Problem is you need a decent meter capable of measuring the full current output. The typical digital homeowner type VOM is OK for the voltage check but does not have an amp range with enough capacity. The SM calls for a 50 amp scale and the amp range on most modern meters is usually 10 and sometimes 20 amps max. The 40 amp adjustment called for in the specs likely would at the least blow the meter fuse (if it has one) and at the worst destroy the meter.

You can buy an aftermarket amp meter that goes to +/- 60 but those are generally crudely marked with large numbers between graduations. Using one of those, you won't get a very precise reading so mostly a guesstimate. There are some inductive clip over the wire meters that might possibly work and you may be able to rent one -- or a decent inline amp meter.

If you can't find a meter then the best bet would probably be to take it to a shop having proper tools. Of course, unless you know of an old timer, finding a shop today with people that know what a regulator is and does and how to adjust it may be an adventure in itself.

You could take a chance on lowering it blindly via the adjustment but without a meter the amount or direction would be a guess. For a start, you would have to be sure you are setting it in the right direction to lower. Once that is certain, setting too low will be almost as bad as too high because then the battery will be prone to undercharge or going dead.

Posted on: 2014/3/29 16:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thanks again for all your thoughts! I will look for an amp meter or an old timer...or maybe both. I'm pushing 60 now..I think that might qualify as an old timer for anyone under 30:)

Posted on: 2014/3/29 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
PS..If I have to bight the bullet and buy a new voltage regulator, could I assume that the new one, specific to my car, would be adjusted properly..or would that be an incorrect assumption?

Posted on: 2014/3/29 17:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Based on a reasonable number of experiences, I'd say it would be a safe assumption that it will correctly set for your vehicle. Don't wait too long to attend to the problem, prolonged overcharging can do permanent damage to the battery plates.

Posted on: 2014/3/29 17:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Clip on ammeters are typically measuring AC current. You can buy a calibrated shunt and measure the dc voltage across it-then using v=ir calculate the amps-amazon sells them-this is probably best way to get an accurate amp reading. I would put it between the battery and the car-

Posted on: 2014/3/29 18:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sears now has a clamp-on-the-wire multimeter that reads DC and AC. Handy darn thing for troubleshooting and for quick checks of cranking problems. About $70; a little hard to justify for a one time use. Seems quite accurate even at low current draws.

Was surprised, for example that the gear reduction starter on a Custom Eight draws less on a cold start than my 54 Clipper--both of which are quite good starters by the way.

Anyway, I seldom worry about the amperage setting on the regulators, the more critical setting as far as the sweating battery is concerned is the voltage. Get that right and the amps will usually take care of themselves. I like to set them on the high side of normal, about 7.2, as it makes for nice bright lights.

Posted on: 2014/3/29 19:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thanks again for everything! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. I will follow all the suggestions for complete success, as I have so many times past with your help.
Warren

Posted on: 2014/3/30 10:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved