Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Strange optioned '56 Clipper (new owner)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

beej8508
See User information
Today, I bought a '56 Clipper Custom sedan. It has factory air conditioning with power windows except for the drivers side window, which has a manual window.

As far as I could tell, the door is original to the car. It has not been repainted, the same key unlocks both sides.

Would Packard have delivered a car this way? I know they pretty much let the owner decide what they wanted and didn't want on the cars they ordered.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.22 KB)
920_539e38d34d7bb.jpg 876X657 px

jpg  (53.77 KB)
920_539e38f8825f6.jpg 876X657 px

Posted on: 2014/6/15 19:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Strange optioned '56 Clipper (new owner)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on the car. Is the factory air complete?

On the windows, I suppose anything is possible but it is a relatively simple matter to convert a power window to manual and vise versa. Just needs the proper regulator and the metal trim panel. The drivers door is a bit more involved because of the master switch. Does the door have the rubber power conduit entering for the master control or were the openings blocked off? If manual I would assume the master control switch is not present to operate the other windows?

Posted on: 2014/6/15 19:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Congratulations on the new acquisition and for including your '56 Clipper Custom Touring Sedan in the Registry.

Posted on: 2014/6/15 19:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

beej8508
See User information
Congratulations on the car. Is the factory air complete?

Yes, it is the factory air. Everything looks to be there.

There isn't a master switch on the drivers door. The other three doors only have the switch for that window.

Here is a picture of the inside of the door.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.32 KB)
920_539e46e79c067.jpg 876X657 px

Posted on: 2014/6/15 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
beej8508 Quote:
There isn't a master switch on the drivers door. The other three doors only have the switch for that window.

The easiest diagnostic is what HH56 suggested: is there a loom of wires with a rubber ribbed covering coming out of the front door jam and into the door? If so, then someone in the past swapped out the D-side power window for a crank window. This would require using the door panel from a crank window car (no spot for the 4-switch), swapping the regulator, etc like HH56 suggested.

I think this is probably what happened given the relative unreliability of the original electric window lift motors.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/6/16 5:15
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Craig mentioned the weak window motor which is what I think might have happened. Even when Stude was still able to supply Packard parts the original window motors were getting scarce. Stude came up with a replacement that would work but those didn't seem to stay around long either or the info might not have been widely known. I suspect that the motor failed at some point and there was nothing but manual cars in the junkyard.

If you do have the conduit still entering the door it might be good to add the checking of the door inside to your to-do list. If the original 4 switch plug and wires is still inside the door make sure it is secured from rubbing and well insulated. Aside from one permanent hot wire to the plug, all the other wires are in parallel with their respective door switches so will be hot at some point when a window is operated.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 9:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If there are conduit holes in the a-pillar, but not in the door itself, then the door was replaced with one from a car that didnt have power windows.

Could have been repainted a long time ago since the swap.

Posted on: 2014/6/16 14:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved