Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 162

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1940 110 Compression
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
What should the compression be on a '40 110?

Also, I think I have an exhaust leak. I am getting a pop pop sound that I didn't have before. If I lean over with a long screwdriver and try to listen to the engine it doesn't seem to be inside the engine itself. Any hints on trying to track it down exactly?

Posted on: 2008/9/16 22:21
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 110 Compression
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Compression ratios for the 1941 Six were 6.39 std and 6.71 optional and I'd guess that 1940 was about the same, so I'd think compression readings of about 90-95 psi should be expected.

Posted on: 2008/9/16 22:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Appin wrote:.......Also, I think I have an exhaust leak. I am getting a pop pop sound that I didn't have before........Any hints on trying to track it down exactly?

John,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Don't know that I can help on the diagnosis but give me a yell if you want a hand with anything!

Posted on: 2008/9/16 23:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Thanks all.........I'm getting 75lbs. At least they are all about the same.

Posted on: 2008/9/16 23:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Appin wrote:.........I'm getting 75lbs.......

John,

Have you spoken to Peter about these matters? He might be able to offer some insight or advice.

Posted on: 2008/9/17 0:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Not yet...I am seeing him in a couple of weeks. Will ask then if I haven't sorted it by then.

Posted on: 2008/9/17 0:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I assume you took the compression with all the plugs removed and the choke valve held open? And did you do it "dry"? If so, I'd add a tablespoon or so of oil into each spark plug hole, crank the engine over several times, and then take it again. If the readings increase significantly it indicates ring and/or cylinder bore wear, if they don't it indicates leakage at the valves which is far easier to deal with. L-head engines of this vintage typically need a valve grind every 30,000 - 50,000 miles, sometimes more frequently if driven consistently at higher speeds.

Posted on: 2008/9/17 8:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
My 38 110 ran very smooth but had low power and a hard hot start issue.Compression was @70 to 75 psi cold.After adjusting the valves -power was much improved and the hard stating was a thing of the past.
The service manual says to set the valves with the engine running and warm to .05 int and .010 exh.I found this almost impossible with the exhaust manifold hot and in the way of the center cylinders.Now I found out you can set them cold to .07 int and .09 exh.Removing the spark plugs, right front wheel and inner fender is a must.I didn't run a second comp test,hind sight indicates I should have.
RT

Posted on: 2008/9/17 10:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I hope you mean .005, .007 etc., not .05, .07 etc. Yeah, setting valves with a hot running engine is no fun at all! But if you can tolerate it, it gives excellent results.

Posted on: 2008/9/17 10:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
No the choke wasn't open. I drove it till it was warm and then took out the coil wire....then I took out one plug at a time and then plug back in and off to the next plug. Why would one take them out all at once? Very shade tree here.

Posted on: 2008/9/17 23:29
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved