Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 241

Phil Eaton, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Early S-W fuel pumps
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

aeroboy3
See User information
New to forum and need some help. I have a 1932 series 900 which only has an electric fuel pump. The original pump is gone. I want to put a fuel pump on the stand and have found a Stewart Warner #235B-D.It doesn't have to pump - only look right. Anybody know if it will fitEarly S-W Fuel Pumps
If not, does anybody know where I might find one? I can not find anywhere what the model of the original pump was. Thanks for helping.

Posted on: 2015/12/3 2:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Early S-W fuel pumps
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Allen(aeroboy3),

Since you joined PackardInfo over 2 years ago I wouldn't say you're "new" but rather it's your first post, so on that score:
Sorry I can't help with your query but someone should be along soon who can, and.....I invite you to include your '32 Series 900 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

EDIT - Have you had a look in the Literature and Manuals Section here on PackardInfo?

Posted on: 2015/12/3 3:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

aeroboy3
See User information
Thanks for your reply. And I will add the '32 to the registry.
I did go through the manuals. I found the part number for the fuel pump but no where could I find the manufacturer or model number. I'm doing quite a bit of restoration to the car and will be asking for advice as I get along with the project. Thanks! Allen

Posted on: 2015/12/3 3:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Allen,

For what it's worth did some further "research" via a Hollanders interchange manual. There, although it lists pretty well all Packards from '29 on, it doesn't specify a '32 900! But I'd imagine whatever pump was used would be the same/similar to that used on 901/902's. OK I'm waiting for the onslaught from the more knowledgeable! Below are some photo's from the Hollanders manual.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.38 KB)
226_5660184cc25fa.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.28 KB)
226_5660185b138b1.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/12/3 5:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "Light Eight" Model 900 used the same engine except for the cylinder head, some air filter shrouding and a few other very minor details as the 901/902 and thus the same fuel pump. Picture of a very original and unmolested 900 engine shown. These S-W pumps are quite difficult to locate. Photo by this writer of the Mark Silvestre car located in NJ.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.98 KB)
177_56605519b1d66.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/12/3 9:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I won't pretend to know anything about that engine or fuel pump but Then and Now Automotive manufactures a pump which they say replaces the S-W pump for that series engine. Theirs does look a lot like the one in the photo but whether it would pass muster as enough original looking would be for someone else to decide..http://then-now-auto.com/packard-fuel-pumps/ Since it only has to look right and not need to work the new pump price may be an issue.

Posted on: 2015/12/3 10:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

aeroboy3
See User information
Thanks a lot guys for the info. I went to Then and Now. They get $325 for a new pump, really not a bad price. But I'm going to keep looking for an old one.
The pump in your photo of the 900 engine does not look like the one I found for sale so I will pass on that one. I think I'll just leave it with the electric pump until I can find one that will look semi-original. Not sure where to look but eventually I might come up with one. Thanks for the cross reference too. That will be helpfull.
Going down to the garage today to pull the manifolds off, then the head. I have a limpy #8 cylinder and I think its a leaky exhaust valve. Wish I didn't have to remove the manifolds but I don't know how you would ever access the valve retainer, spring, etc. on that back cylinder otherwise.
Allen

Posted on: 2015/12/3 13:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've never been a fan of electric fuel pumps as the primary pump, most especially for DL type 51 updraft carburetors that were designed initially to be gravity-fed (extremely low pressure) from a S-W vacuum tank. Just too much chance for the pump to overwhelm the needle and seat and create a fire hazard. IMO you should consider keeping your electric just for priming and possibly vapor lock and return to the mechanical pump for normal operation. Check around with others who have updraft DL carbs and I think you'll find they agree.

Posted on: 2015/12/3 17:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another photo which may be helpful to you. This a '32 902. I can only assume the pump is the correct one. Note that the pump flanges are offset differently than the installation on the 900 as the 901/902 doesn't have the air baffling to contend with. I also see the fuel inlet line routing is different which may or may not be correct.

It's an interesting question in my mind as to why the 900 received that extra intake baffling when it's essentially the same engine, only significant difference is a cylinder head thermostat instead of Pines shutter-stat.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.11 KB)
177_5661b0c27581b.jpg 800X533 px

Posted on: 2015/12/4 10:27
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

aeroboy3
See User information
Owen, I hadn't thought about that potential for overwhelming the model 51 carb, but it is a concern. And if you don't have an inertia shut-off in case of an accident, it can continue to pump fuel. Given those two potential hazards, I may go ahead and pop for the new 'Then and Now' pump. I just wonder who has used one and whether they have had good results.
When I bought my car, it was equipped with an air cleaner like the one on the standard eight you have pictured. It also had all the pieces of the heat baffle but they weren't installed. I'm thinking they might be removed in warmer weather for more efficient engine breathing.

Also, have you ever pulled the head from one of these
engines. A PAC technical advisor told me that one way to do it was to loosen the nuts on the head studs and then start the engine. I loosened them all about 3/4 of a turn and tried to start the engine. It wouldn't start even though it was getting fuel, air and spark. It did pop once through the exhaust manifold. I have never removed the head from an L head engine with studs. How can I get it loose without damaging it? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks! Allen

Posted on: 2015/12/4 23:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved