Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 160 stuck in gear
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Friend of mine is looking at a 1941 Packard 160 off of Craigslist. He's there now and said the car started easily, went into reverse, backed down the driveway and sent back into first and drove up the driveway. Now it's stuck in first and won't go into another gear. Any suggestion? The car was driven two days ago.

Posted on: 2015/12/13 9:49
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 160 stuck in gear
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The linkage on the column shift worn out?

Posted on: 2015/12/13 9:59
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Depress the clutch pedal, have someone open the hood and lift the 1st/Rev. shift finger at the base of the steering column back to horizontal so it aligns with the 2nd/3rd finger. It's very typical problem of these cars as the shift linkage gets worn and/or abused or mis-adjusted. Without correction it will continue to happen.

Posted on: 2015/12/13 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Thank you Owen, worked perfect.

Posted on: 2015/12/13 10:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's a near-classic image: a long string of Packards on tour come to an unexpected stop while entering a parking area. As we look forward for the reason we see the 1st car in line is a '41 and the driver's side hood is open and someone is reaching down.

Posted on: 2015/12/13 11:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I have found the easiest way to avoid the locked fingers is to NOT try and "slide" from 1st to 2nd. You need to go up into neutral WITHOUT pushing toward 2nd at an angle. Once in neutral, make that 90 degree turn, then another 90 degree turn into second. This sounds slow, but it doesn't have to be slow. Just AVOID trying to slide it into 2nd.

Posted on: 2015/12/13 20:23
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Bow
See User information
You should be happy it happened in the daylight the first time. Now you can do it in the dark. My first experience with this issue was 11pm 10 miles outside of town.
It was a long ride home.

Posted on: 2015/12/13 20:58
Bilbo
1937 120C Sport Coupe

Continuously snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Packard0:

Do yourself a favor and read this 4 page thread:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6106&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0 It will tell you all you need to know about this issue and how to fix it.

Replacement NOS parts 360425 and 360426 are still available and the pair go for about $125 per pair. A fresh set of levers does wonders for the car.

Even if you change the levers remember that the shift pattern is in an H shape and be sure to follow that pattern as you shift through neutral. Use a reverse N shape and you will get a lock-up.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2015/12/13 22:42
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved