Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
61 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 60

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Question about paint on door striker/ Latch
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Can someone advise me if the door latch and striker area of a 41 was originally painted or not. I have looked at several photos and see about half of them painted. My guess is they should not be painted.Thank you.

Posted on: 2015/12/31 22:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Question about paint on door striker/ Latch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I had an original 1937 120 and IIRC the door latches and strikers were unpainted and had a flat gray surface like pewter or lead (the car was black.) The sales brochure for the 1937 Six and 120 on this site has two depictions with the doors open and the strikers on the "B" pillars are lighter than the cars' finishes. Unfortunately the 1941 brochure doesn't have such depictions. I'm confident that Packard wouldn't have changed that in the ensuing four years. From a practical standpoint, paint on these items would be quickly rubbed off and look unsightly where the latches contact the strikers as the doors are opened and closed.

Posted on: 2015/12/31 23:34
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No definitive source for information but I doubt very much that they were painted, that's probably the result of a repaint without taking time to mask or remove the hardware - your car wasn't originally blue, right? For some postwar years the latches and strikers on the senior cars were chromed, the junior models were dull metal finish, perhaps Parkerized or a similar metal treatment; I don't know if this distinction extended back to the prewar seniors but surely someone here will know with certainty. Door latch hardware on the 1941 180 sport broughams was chrome plated.

Posted on: 2016/1/1 9:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Both my 1941 160 and 120 have chrome plated strikers and latches.

FWIW I have attached a PMCC factory photo of a 1940 Club Coupe with plated parts.

Hope this helps.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.14 KB)
436_5686d7634fa8f.jpg 750X605 px

Posted on: 2016/1/1 14:45
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Resto Suggestion: If you go to PAC and ask a roster keeper and you don't get an answer, what's a person to do? If no one here has an answer either you're SOL, left to your own research/judgement.
By parallel, I was able to buy an "authenticity manual" used to judge for my CAD from CLC. It's by no means complete but answer alot of the usual questions like this.
A similar document for year class Packards would be a good undertaking and moneymaker for the PAC. They must have some sort of sheet or your at the mercy of the GODs => Good Old Dogs come judgement day. It needs to happen before it's too late. Alot of the expertise is in the -genarian categories.

Posted on: 2016/1/4 16:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved