Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 138

dallas, humanpotatohybrid, Ernie Vitucci, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'49 Limousine
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
Hi guys,
I was just wondering as to if most or all came in a standard configuration, i.e color, interior options etc. or if the could be special ordered by the buyer at the dealer? Mine was originally black with black leather/ leatherette front compartment with a beige broadcloth interior in the rear. It's still a long way off before I get to that point but I would like to go with another color and maybe a brown leather front seat and door panels. I would just like to get some input, Thanks!
Kevin

Posted on: 2016/1/10 21:33
 Top  Print   

Re: '49 Limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might download the 48 22nd series fact book. It has charts showing what was standard in various models so you might be able to glean a bit of info there. Even though it may not be totally accurate for a 23rd series, if yours is the later car the 22nd book info should still be reasonably close to what was available on 23rd.

The Intro section of the 48-54 Parts book starting on page XVII has a listing of trim codes available on various bodies. If your limo body is listed you may be able to find if various leather colors were available. I believe black was the predominate selection though. Different color fabrics for the rear compartment were available.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 22:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is your limo a 22nd (48-49) Series or a 23rd (49-50) Series? If a 22nd, Super Eight or Custom 8? Trim for the Custom 8 was different.

Posted on: 2016/1/11 10:19
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
It's a 22nd (early 49)series Super Eight.

Posted on: 2016/1/11 14:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
There were only one or two 23rd series Limousines built and none known left to survive that I know of. It has to be a 22nd series, 1949 model.

Posted on: 2016/1/16 12:07
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Gee, I wish I'd known they were that rare. The guy I bought my '49 from, had a '49 limo in decent shape, and wanted to sell it and the other 4 sedans, but I wasn't interested. I remember the limo being light colored/ off white inside, with curtains, etc and black exterior.

Posted on: 2016/1/16 21:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
There are several 22nd Series '49 models that survive. I have yet to see a 23rd Series '49 model.

Posted on: 2016/1/17 9:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

According to Robert Neal's Packard 1948 To 1950, four 23rd Series long wheelbase cars, Model 2370 and 2371 types, were built, essentially prototypes for show purposes. Concurrent with their introduction, 1420 leftover 22nd Series lwb cars were still in stock to be cleared. Management had been adjusting down planned 23rd Series lwb production quantities from 2,351 to 450 cars, but held off further builds until firm business could be procured.

The New York taxi contracts, which used the same body had been cancelled, leaving them with quantities of materials to finish building out this model. They tried various plans to get commitments from the taxi operators to buy quantities before proceeding with further production. It never happened, and ultimately they had to write-off the materials as scrap not needed for service parts.

Only one car, 2371-2001, is known to survive of the four, is pictured in Neal's book. There are 22nd Series lwb cars with 23rd Series side trim which was a kit offered to dealers in order to update the appearance of leftover cars to make them more saleable. These are easy to identify as the 22nd Series lower body trim and taillights remain.

To say that the 22nd Series long-wheelbase models put an end to Packard's business in that segment is accurate. The market found the 141" wb Super Eight overpriced relative to other makes available, such as the long-wheelbase DeSotos and Chryslers. Apparently the Custom Eights lacked the prestige value versus the Cadillac 75 to make them worth the price premium commanded.

All this said, they're one of the most appealing Free-Flow Styled Packards, something scarce, unique and worthwhile to acquire and restore as Kleroy is doing.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/1/17 11:11
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nice summary, Steve.

Here's one of the rare LWB cars, 22nd series Custom 8 - photo by this writer at the 1985 PAC National in Providence, Rhode Island. I haven't checked on its current whereabouts.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.60 KB)
177_569bc1ee093e5.jpg 1280X829 px

Posted on: 2016/1/17 11:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
Excellent information, you guys. This has been a sleeping subject for a long time. About 2 months ago, my friend, Rodney Hobbs, and I started talking and investigating this subject. We are familiar with the article in Robert Neal's book, which is excellent. Also note, there is a picture of a 23rd Series LWB Limo in a showroom shown in the book. This is a great subject to discuss.

Posted on: 2016/1/17 12:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved