Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Any Packs every have both key ignition and hand-crank starters?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Was there ever a transition period from the hand-crank starter to the key ignition starter when Packards had both, in case one or the other failed?

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/4/16 14:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Any Packs every have both key ignition and hand-crank starters?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Garrett, no specifics but it was common practice after electric starters were first fitted to have a hole in the bottom center of the grille/radiator so a hand crank could be used. I believe this practice continued into the mid-1930s. Others may have more accurate information on this.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/4/16 14:29
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I agree with JW, but just think about it; a straight 8 (320 or 384 CI) to hand crank. I know they're low pressure engines but still it would be quiet a job to hand start a cold engine.

Posted on: 2016/4/16 14:47
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
I know that the talk revolves around Packards but for entertaining reasons I can't resist to mention, that hand-crank starters survived the turn of the millenium ... in Russia.

Posted on: 2016/4/16 14:48
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I have a Tenth Series (1933) Packard that still has its hand crank. I've been told that Packard discontinued providing hand cranks with the end of Tenth Series production. And yes, it is a bear of an engine to crank by hand; makes you appreciate all the hard work those starter motors do.

Posted on: 2016/4/16 20:23
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
As usual, thanks to all the informative responses. I can only imagine having to hand-crank a cold straight-eight engine.

I have heard that the crank could swing or kick back, often breaking the arm of the guy (or woman) doing the cranking.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/4/16 20:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My '34 Eight has a hand crank with the tool kit under the front seat. I believe cranks were supplied thru 1936, not sure about after that but the parts book will establish the date when the hand crank ceased being a standard part of the tool kit. I use it occasionally to get the engine to the timing mark to rough-set the ignition timing. Never used it to actually start the engine, with a dead battery it's easier to just give it a push and pop the clutch.

EDIT: checking the part listings, 1934 was the last year the crank was part of the standard domestic tool kit.

Posted on: 2016/4/16 22:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved