Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

Bob Supina, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6v halogen headlights
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

gr8scottw
See User information
I recently purchased some 6V halogen headlights that fit my 46 Super Clipper from Octane Lighting on Amazon.com. They look great, but are VERY dim, maybe even dimmer than my sealed beams.

The car has a new wiring harness, so I'm pretty sure the electrical connections aren't the issue. I also have 6V LED lights in the tail lights only (was warned not to put too many LED's in without resistors).

I noticed when I did my first test drive last night that everything was very dim, even brights. Blinkers were VERY slow, like flip every 2-3 seconds, and the right front never would blink.

Is the generator not producing enough electricity to run the headlights at full strength? Would the same cause the blinker issue?

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Scott

Posted on: 2016/4/22 8:16
 Top  Print   

Re: 6v halogen headlights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
and just to make sure nothing changed.....put the old lights back in just to see if it still acts up.

another test....put the halogens in with normal brake bulbs and see if the problem persists.

just some tests is all.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 8:21
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Break out a volt meter to see what your voltage at the headlight looks like. Running you should be close to 7.2 volts. If not, you have a problem somewhere.

The slow blinking is from not having enough load on the taillights to trigger the relays. This is usually because the LEDs don't match the resistance of the original lights.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 8:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

gr8scottw
See User information
What should it be putting out at the generator?

Posted on: 2016/4/22 9:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As Kev says, at fast idle the voltage should be 7.2-7.4 volts and that will be measured thruout the system. You should be able to measure close to that at the headlight junction block on the L fender. Engine off and voltage should revert to battery level of 6.3v give or take.

No matter which headlights are used - original or halogen - I am a believer in using relays to take the stress of the high current the headlights pull out of the old headlight and dimmer switches. If a switch is dirty or perhaps making marginal contact, in addition to reducing voltage available to lights, the high current causes the switches to heat and before long there are other issues.

I make a small assy and place a couple of relays near the junction block. A couple of minor wire changes at the terminal strip lets the original wiring operate the relays and current for the headlights is delivered thru a new 10 ga wire and circuit breaker directly from the battery connection at solenoid. That eliminates the current having to go thru switches and several feet of smaller gauge wire. The only original wiring still carrying much current is that in the rubber cables between junction block and headlights. With a change of relays the same circuit works on 12v cars too although there are other considerations with the dual terminal strips and wiring on 55-6 cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.21 KB)
209_571a36833026a.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (62.76 KB)
209_571a36b4e258c.jpg 808X1200 px

Posted on: 2016/4/22 9:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Before everything get complicated here, are you sure that they sent you 6 volt units?
Next, what does your ammeter say? Does it still swing over to the charge side when you give a little gas?

Posted on: 2016/4/22 9:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
good point...maybe they sent 12v units?

Quote:

Ross wrote:
Before everything get complicated here, are you sure that they sent you 6 volt units?
Next, what does your ammeter say? Does it still swing over to the charge side when you give a little gas?

Posted on: 2016/4/22 10:05
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If u have a 6v battery charger then test the lites on the battery charger.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 13:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved