Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 202

Ozstatman, Tom (Packin31), kevinpackard, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Shaking front end
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Took my 35 eight (solid front axle) out and took it for a spin. Twice I hit a little rough patch in the road, and my front end and steering wheel started shaking violently. It wouldn't stop until I slowed down to less than 10 mph. The kingpins have been replaced last year so they wouldn't be worn. Where should I start checking? I never really worked on front ends so I'm kinda new to this.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 15:28
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: Shaking front end
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Called wheel tramp, check the tie rod ends, draglink ends and I'd say king pins, but you said they were already replaced.
John

Posted on: 2016/8/11 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
AKA "Death wobble" Ask me how I know!
Simply one or more worn parts oscillating.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 16:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did the solid axles have the same type steering as later cars with the center link and a bearing positioned under the radiator? IIRC, issues with that center bearing have been the source of some looseness and play which allowed wheel shaking.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 17:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Up to 36 all senior cars had solid front axle and front leaf springs, much less to be loose. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you look under the car. You should be able to spot what's loose.

Insufficient caster can also cause this

Posted on: 2016/8/11 17:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BDC, the usual cure is just basics, eliminate slop in spring shackles and shackle pins, the trunnion block, drag link ends, tie rod ends, etc. Make sure wheel bearings are properly adjusted, ditto for the steering gear box.

Then get the front end aligned to specs and have the wheels and tires dynamically balanced. That should eliminate any shimmy, tramp, or the like.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 17:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
All good suggestion. First place i ck is seeing if the Nuts r tight on the U-bolt/axle to spring. Last place anyone lks.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 18:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved