Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Headlight Burning Out
Just popping in
Just popping in

LemuelGulliver
See User information
Howdy!

I've been working at getting a 726 back on the road. It had been garaged and rarely run for probably the last 20 years, and so all sorts of gremlins had moved in, especially in the fuel system. Now after having largely solved its essential mechanical problems by flushing the gas tank, cleaning the carb and vacuum tank, and repairing a broken sending unit, I'm moving on to some of the less critical problems.

One recurring problem seems to be a tendency to burn out the left headlight bulb. It worked when I first began working on it, but somewhere along the way the left bulb burned out. I replaced it with another bulb a fella happened to have on hand, which worked fine until the next time I started the car again and turned on the headlights, only to find the left one had burnt again.

The problem could just be the bulbs; they were both aged, and may have been just defective. But I suspect there may be some other electrical problem causing the bulbs to burn out. Anybody have any ideas where I should look?

Secondly, does anyone know where I can look for headlight bulbs? I think I ought to get a few of them.

Thanks!

DN

Attach file:

jpg  (67.87 KB)
154762_592f8cad32d3b.jpg 1080X1080 px

Posted on: 2017/5/31 22:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Headlight Burning Out
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I'm sure there are many sources for headlamp bulbs. Among them are Restoration Specialties, www.restorationstuff.com and Hirsch Automotive, www.hirschauto.com. Hirsch advertises that they have halogen replacement bulbs. Other forum members may have more recommendations as well.

That's a great photo you have there. A deserted country road, a wedge of deep blue sky showing on the horizon and the classic Packard front end silhouetted against the illuminated roadway. Looks like it could be artwork for one of those famous Packard ads.

Posted on: 2017/5/31 23:54
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day LemuelGulliver,
to PackardInfo. Unfortunately I can't shed any light(pun intended) on your query although others, like Don who has already responded, can and will.

However, I invite you to include your Packard 726 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/6/1 3:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hi LemuelGulliver,

I was having the same issue as you on the passenger side the bulb would keep burning out. Wiring is new ground is good etc. etc. Replaced bulb and same thing burnout. I did not want to waste the rest of the bulbs I have (old stock my late father purchased years back). So I did a search on this site and found this thread about LEDS bulbs 2330 headlamp LED replacement.

www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com I had purchased a pair of their BA15d Positive earth FB2A. They work very well and are much brighter than the incandescent' s. Only issue I have with them is that the bulbs are always on high beam. Their fix is to purchase their High Beam Light Fix Kit. Not sure what that initials for a fix but I have not as of yet order the kit. I don't do much night time driving and if I do it would only be a few miles from show to home.

Tom

Posted on: 2017/6/1 6:49
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you checked for a relationship between the bulb failure and the generator output voltage? In other words, has the engine always been running above idle speed when the burned out, or have they also burned out without the engine running?

Put a voltmeter across your battery and run your engine at perhaps 1500 rpm, what voltage do you see? Any chance some misguided soul put an 8-volt battery in the car and upped the generator output correspondingly?

Posted on: 2017/6/1 8:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved