Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

problem with engine PACKARD 1950
Just popping in
Just popping in

kajyk77
See User information
Dear Sir,
I'm French, and I think to got a PACKARD super height deluxe years 1950.
When I wanted to make certain the engine wasn't blocked by turning the crank-shaft manually with a tool without plugs, after have made one and a half tour, the engine has blocked. It is a ultramatic drive and it was on ? N ? position, and there is no battery.
Would you please explain me what is the problem with this car ? And what is the fonction of the left pedal ?
I thank you very much for your answer.
Cordially.
Jacques THEISSE

Posted on: 2008/12/27 10:41
 Top  Print   

Re: problem with engine PACKARD 1950
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Jacques, we may have a language problem communicating so please be patient with me. How many pedals are there?
Normally in an ultramatic car there are ony two pedals, one on the right for gas and the pedal to the left of that for brakes.

Posted on: 2008/12/27 11:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sometimes a picture helps. If only 1 1/2 turn, something in engine is probably damaged or maybe some valves rusted and stuck. Will it go back the other way?

Attach file:

jpg  (8.96 KB)
209_49565c560800f.jpg 349X230 px

Posted on: 2008/12/27 11:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps you were referring to the small button switch to the left which is headlight dimmer/high beam switch?

Posted on: 2008/12/27 14:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Is the car actually equipped with an Electromatic not the Ultramatic? the picture shows the location of the control valve. Hopefully this will help.

Attach file:

jpg  (105.03 KB)
462_4956869dec137.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2008/12/27 14:49
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
kajyk77 wrote:..........I'm French, and I think to got a PACKARD super eight deluxe years 1950.......Jacques THEISSE

Bon jour Jacques,

to Packardinfo. I'm sure the Packard people here will be able to assist in your request for help. Could you post a picture of your pedal setup as that would undoubtably help.

And although can you please enter your '50 in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2008/12/27 14:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

kajyk77
See User information
Hello .Thanks for all your answers.
I join some pictures of my car.
i think the problem of my car is a air valve which is bloked .
Perhaps, the left pedal is the brake-park so called in france hand-brake.

Attach file:

jpg  (100.60 KB)
1193_495762e551582.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/12/28 6:28
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

kajyk77
See User information
I supposed, it's an ultramatic drive.

Attach file:

jpg  (115.56 KB)
1193_4957647839a24.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/12/28 6:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Bonjour, il me semble que c'est une p?dale de frein d'urgence, peut-?tre y mettre plus tard par d'autres propri?taires. Comme pour votre moteur bloqu?, avez-vous essay? enlever les bougies et de voir si elle va tourner? Si elle ne permettra pas, le moteur est sans doute saisi, et pourrait prendre un peu de finesse pour le faire d?coller. Ici, aux ?tats-Unis, on utilise un lubrifiant appel? WD-40, qui va manger la rouille sur les bouteilles et, en g?n?ral, obtenir un-coll?. Vous pouvez d'abord essayer de Coca-Cola, comme je l'ai entendu dire que cela fonctionne le mieux. Permettez-moi de savoir comment cela se passe!

And for the non-French speaking members here, this is what I said:

Hello, it looks to me like that's an emergency brake pedal, possibly put there later by some other owner. As for your engine being stuck, have you tried removing the spark plugs and seeing if it will turn over? If it won't, the engine is probably seized, and could take a bit of finesse to get it unstuck. Here in the U.S. we use a lubricant called WD-40, which will eat the rust out of the cylinders and generally get it un-stuck. You can first try some Coca-Cola, as I've heard that it works the best. Let me know how it goes!

Posted on: 2008/12/28 6:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, Turbopackman, I AM impressed!

I'd do as suggested, perhaps you just have a ridge of rust where one or more ring sets sat for years. The other possibilities aren't all that pleasant to think about, blown piston, bent connecting rod, etc.

WD-40 is really only a water-dispersant (hence the WD), not a great rust buster; I don't know what's available in your area by I'd look for PB Blaster (the best) or Cryoil, or just plain old-fashioned "penetrating oil".

Posted on: 2008/12/28 10:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved