Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 244

BigKev, Don 37, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Modified Engine
Just popping in
Just popping in

dumper
See User information
We recently purchased a 1938 1197 four door convertible sedan.

We have been Model A folks previously and we know that frequently there a enhancements made to make the car more road worthy.

As we try to learn more about our new Packard we are finding that it isn't all 1938 vintage.

The biggest question is about the engine. The serial # for the block is correct. (could be original; could be restamped).

The head is a 288 Thunderbolt. The carburetor is a Carter.
Were these changes done to make it more road worthy? Wondering if these were common upgrades.

Any comments would be educational. Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (378.34 KB)
145086_5a91fd392aee4.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2018/2/24 19:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Modified Engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Welcome.
Here is a link to the Model directory for an 1197.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/viewmodel.php?modelnum=1197&ButtonLookup=Go

The engine is close to correct in that the Thunderbolt is a Packard straight-8 engine which is what the 1197 had originally, except as you can see, a 282 with a Stromberg carburetor. The Thunderbolt engine was used in the 50s. It would have a Carter carburetor.

This engine may have some improvements over the 282, but a rebuilt 282 would be just as roadworthy.

Convertibles came with leather upholstery. I can't tell if yours is leather or not. A few chrome pieces have been painted. The boot would be khaki or black canvas, not leather or vinyl.

Posted on: 2018/2/24 19:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suspect you have a substitute engine as a postwar 288 cylinder head will not fit the correct 282 engine. If the motor number is correct for 1938, its been restamped.

You've got a relatively desirable Packard and deviation from originality will generally result in devaluation. As you work on your new car I encourage you to return it to its correct original configuration. Really, in stock form its more than competent for today's touring.

Posted on: 2018/2/24 19:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Fine looking '38 Eight convertible sedan! If factory-correct is important to you, you may want to research whether two-tone paint was optional for 1938. After 1932, the fenders painted a contrasting darker color went out of fashion, was dropped as an option.

(Edited for clarity 2-26-2018: This was a general industry trend, not only Packard who continued to offer two-tone finishes as an option at least into 1934. Introduction of new styling was taken as the opportunity to present a more unified, streamline look which didn't include contrasting fender versus body colors.)

Two-tone paint options returned in 1940-'42 but was between the upper and lower body then, not the fender opposite the body.

Its possible the original 282 was replaced with a factory service postwar 288 back in that period. Most automakers and dealers had such programs.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/2/25 9:28
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Some of the service bulletins I posted last week cover that exact topic.

Posted on: 2018/2/25 10:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Yes, Packard sanctioned and promoted retrofit installation of the later 288 engines into pre-war cars, your '38 being a prime example. That the engine was re-stamped with the original engine's number is interesting - I'd like to see how/where this was done.

Looks like a fun driver! Let us know how we can further assist.

DAF

Posted on: 2018/2/25 12:17
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The bulletin did state that the engines were shipped with a blank (unstamped) serial number pads. The dealer was supposed to stamp based upon the applicable state laws. Perhaps some states reassigned the same engine number.

Posted on: 2018/2/25 12:35
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The blank pads may also explain the "CA" prefix I've seen on some pre war cars in Calif with later replacement motors.

Posted on: 2018/2/25 12:36
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

dumper
See User information
Thanks for the info. Appreciate all.
I have attached photos of the engine and serial #.
The serial number is stamped on a pad on the block behind the horns.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.92 KB)
145086_5a9373fbb32ed.jpg 384X288 px

jpg  (26.65 KB)
145086_5a9374164095b.jpg 384X288 px

Posted on: 2018/2/25 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Dumper

Thanks for providing photos of the engine and stamped number. As it stands now, your car is a fine example of how Packard continued to support owners even after initial sale to keep their cars useful and satisfying. While the purist become hung up on exact adherence to factory assembled originality now, there should to be a recognition the company was also provided for practical assistance and service components to keep their cars on the road. It's great to see such an example survive.

What approach you take, whether to source a replacement 1938 correct 282 or retain the car as a document of its time is up to you. Should you decide the latter, I'd recommend you keep a print out of the bulletin with the car that details service replacement of pre-war engines with postwar units as proof that Packard maintained such a program.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/2/26 13:07
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved