Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Not Packards but Aussie Cars!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Although this IS a Packard Site I'm taking the liberty of introducing this Hemmings Post into the midst of our fine cars.

Some might approve or agree, others might disapprove while others still, might not care either way.

Different from normal but wanted to share this with all here.

Posted on: 2018/2/25 15:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Not Packards but Aussie Cars!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I kind of like the small pickups in the third photo. Aren't they called UTE's instead of pickups in Oz? Think they were very practical for a small pickup and cargo carrying implementation but for some reason small like that never really caught on here. Believe Studebaker had a smaller car based version for a year or two -- the Coupe Express I think it was called and Dodge had something larger as a limited production high end model but that might have been for show..

Most successful models here seem to have been much bigger with station wagon based cars made into pickups like the El Camino and Rancheros. Dodge and I think Subaru tried to do something in the 80s or early 90s with a smaller car body with a bed tacked on instead of a trunk but neither were around very long. Maybe others tried but nothing around as long and successful as the Australian models.

I still like that little early 60s Ford the police drive in the Dr. Blake Mysteries and the Standard that Dr Blake drives in the later episodes isn't bad either.

Posted on: 2018/2/25 16:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard,

Many other cars were factory produced as Utes in Oz. US cars included the Ford Mainline, Chrysler Wayfarer 1/2-ton coup? utility (AP2 and AP3) from 1958 to 1961 as well as Chevrolets from late 40's into the '50's. There could have been others. And many British vehicles were Utes, Vanguards and the Austin 1800 among others. As an aside the Austin 1800 in its Sedan form was disparagingly known as "The Giant Land Crab" because of its stance and looks.

The little Datsun 1200 Ute has struck a chord with many and is very collectible. In fact, the lady next door has had one for about 30 years and has restored it. And her brother owns a Vanguard Ute, photo attached.

As to liking "that little early 60s Ford the police drive in the Dr. Blake Mysteries and the Standard that Dr Blake drives", I don't know what to say except everyone's tastes are different.

Attach file:

jpg  (82.39 KB)
226_5a9332c00b94e.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2018/2/25 17:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
<i>"Aren't they called UTE's instead of pickups in Oz? Think they were very practical for a small pickup and cargo carrying implementation but for some reason small like that never really caught on here. Believe Studebaker had a smaller car based version for a year or two -- the Coupe Express I think it was called"</i>

Ford of Australia introduced the Ute in 1934 based on a letter from a farmer's wife who requested a vehicle that could take the family to church on Sunday and do farm work the rest of the week.

Studebaker offered the Coup?-Express from 1937-1939 in the U.S. There was a planned revival of the Coup?-Express for Studebaker in the still born Studebaker-Packard common body program for 1957.

https://56packardman.com/2016/02/16/gear-head-tuesday-studebakers-prophetic-coupe-express/

Posted on: 2018/2/25 21:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved