Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 249

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1939 Packard Six, Taxi engine?
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
I have been working to preserve my Dads 1939 Packard Six. It is coming along quite nicely, completed the dash and window trim wood graining, heater refinish, king pins, brakes, master cylinder, headliner and ready to tackle more of the interior.

The engine is a bit noisier, at times, than I like. Some is valve lifters but I think I hear something more substantial from time to time, rod bearing?

My Dad believed this car had a taxi engine. How can I identify that? How is teh taxi engine different from a norma Six?

Thanks in adance

john

Posted on: 2018/3/22 13:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Packard Six, Taxi engine?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi John:

I don't believe Packard had a taxi cab series of cars in 1939 so if your engine is original to the car it isn't a "taxi" engine. I believe 1941 was Packard's first offering of a 6-cylinder taxi; a check of your motor number will tell you if you have a transplanted motor.

Generally, the Packard taxis had heavier duty springs, rear axle, clutch, higher output generator, larger brakes, and a few other items. But I believe the only difference in the engines was the use of positive crankcase ventilation on the taxi motors and I'm not even sure that extended back to the 1941 taxis. Someone else will have more details I'm sure, and correct me if I'm in error.

Posted on: 2018/3/22 14:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks Owen

How can I tell from the engine number? Fro that, is there a way to find out if this is the original engine? B26354A is stamped on the block

Posted on: 2018/3/22 14:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The engine serial numbers can be found here on this site.

Posted on: 2018/3/22 14:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks Don

Is there anyway to ascertain if this is the original engine for this car?

I also only see taxis listed on much later years here yet elsewhere on the web, were available as taxis around 39 - 41

Posted on: 2018/3/22 14:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Your engine number is a fairly late one for a '39 Six. If your VN# 1282-XXXXX is also late in the production run you can be reasonably confident it is original to your car. I'd imagine O_D can probably advise whether your VN number is a late one

Posted on: 2018/3/22 14:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In addition to the VN, the theft-proof number would also be helpful in looking at the time line.

Posted on: 2018/3/22 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Sorry for this dumb question, are you referring to casting numbers? I see 412248 on the block and two different embossing's on the head, 395488 and 31848

Posted on: 2018/3/22 15:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Casting numbers aren't useful for this. In addition to the motor number we'd want the vehicle number from the patent plate, the delivery date if it's stamped, and the theft-proof number which is the large 6-digit number embossed into the engine side of the cowl.

Posted on: 2018/3/22 15:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
The cowling is embossed with 504060 , vehicle ID number is 1282-18211 delivered by Tigue Motor Company in Keokuk Iowa. Date is gone

Posted on: 2018/3/22 15:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved