Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Soggy rear leaf springs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
The rear springs on my '52 Mayfair have become soggy and I bottom out when carrying passengers over bumpy roads. Anyone have any good ideas on a fix?

Posted on: 2009/1/9 22:57
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Re: Soggy rear leaf springs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Denny Z wrote: The rear springs on my '52 Mayfair have become soggy.........Anyone have any good ideas on a fix?

Denny,

Can't resist, but try drying them out!

Sorry, but if they were saggy that's be a whole different matter. I believe you can have leaf springs re-arched which is the way to fix it

Posted on: 2009/1/9 23:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Funny...yes sAggy. It's been a long day. Where can one get springs re-arched? I've never heard of it being done.

Posted on: 2009/1/9 23:07
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rearching leaf springs was once a very common practice but I'd guess nowadays it's pretty much just in the realm of heavy duty trucks. Look for an outfit that services truck springs, you should fine one with ease. But it's a pretty primitive kind of process; new springs are sort of a one kind fits all variety but might be a better option.

Posted on: 2009/1/9 23:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I guess it is unusual. But, I can still do the job. It is a very simple job. The spring is simply run through a device with three rollers, the central one pressing downward. This creates a smaller diameter curvature. It may take several passes but eventually the correct curve is achieved.

Posted on: 2009/1/10 17:20
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
If the steel has metal fatigue, won't it go back in short order?

Posted on: 2009/1/11 21:52
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
They probably will sag again sooner than new springs. But, t is a process that will get a car back on the road for a time.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 23:22
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've seen rearched springs that after 20 years or more still held body height. Results no doubt depends to a very great extent on the skill level and techniques used. For example, do you just rearch the main leaf, or all leaves; with rollers or beat them over an anvil with a sledge? Many Packards used different spring capacities and rates for different body weights, and sometimes used different interleaf friction methods to obtain the best ride properties. Packard obtained a patent on the use of metallic buttons as the friction sliders between leaves and used this for a number of years, I recall them on my 48 Custom 8. Each button on a different leaf had a different alloy to provide a different coefficient of friction. When you buy a new spring, you don't get this kind of tuned spring to your particular chassis and body, you get the one-kind-fits-all spring but still this represents a good option to repair sagging springs.

Anyone interested in the patent can send me a PM.

Posted on: 2009/1/12 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Acme Spring in Dayton did a nice job on my 1940 springs.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 17:08
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There should be a spring shop in your area that can help you. Nowadays they mostly do big trucks but they can fix your car too. Look in the yellow pages or ask your favorite garage who they use.

The spring shop can take your springs off the car, rearch the leaves to restore the original curve, and usually they slip in an extra leaf to restore lost strength. Springs rearched in this way will last indefinitely. They will also put new bushings in the spring eyes.

Your car will sit higher in the back than it has for years, it might even seem too high until the springs flatten out and take a set.

Cost usually around $200 bucks.

For another $100 or so they can make you a new set of
springs.

They can also replace the front springs. Then your car will sit up like it did when new.

Have a set of new shocks put on at the same time for a real driving thrill.

Posted on: 2009/1/18 21:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved