Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 224

RCJ56, tsherry, Don B, didatelogg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

VIN number oddity on a 1940 120
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Cornerlot
See User information
From what I understand, the VIN number on a 1940 should be two 4 digit numbers separated by a hyphen; XXXX-XXXX

On my recent 120 sedan purchase, the VIN number stamped on the cowl plate has 5 digits in the second number series, i.e. XXXX-XXXXX Now, the plate is original, and the first four digits are correct as '1392'. Is this an error, or a valid variation on the theme?

Thanks.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/1/12 23:14
 Top  Print   

Re: VIN number oddity on a 1940 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The second number following the hyphen represents the numerical sequence of vehicle production for that model (starting with 1001 or 2001). If there are more of that model produced than can be accommodated in 4 digits, 5 are used. They made more than 28,000 120's in 1940. I'm pretty sure your data tag is perfectly normal... If it isn't, someone will correct me.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 0:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nothing unusual about that. The vehicles that came after 1392-9999 would have 5 digits, like 1391-10001. You just don't see 5 digits on models with less than 9999 produced in a year.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 0:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
J.D. - just FYI that numbering system (body type - sequential production number) started in the 9th series (1932) and used a starting number of 11 rather than your noted 1001 or 2001 at least thru 1937. I'm unsure of what the baseline was from 1938 and 1939 but by 1940 it was 2001. V8 era started at 1001.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 10:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
O_D, Thanks for the expanded info. I learn something new every day.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I have an oddity too, I think. When transferring the title of my '41 Clipper when I bought it, I noticed that the VIN number on the cowel plate didn't match what was on the title. The number stamped on the block was used for the title id. Anyone know why this might be?

Posted on: 2009/1/19 8:12
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In that era things were a little loose as to regulations pertaining to vehicle registration. States pretty much did what they wished, as did mfgs. I believe Packards official number prior to 55 was the motor number and that was used on most titles. Made (and makes) things a little interesting when registering a car that has had a motor change.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 9:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
California in particular seems to have had a preference for registering with the motor number, but from my experience the majority of states used the vehicle number.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 9:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Could be right. I know Calif definitely was motor but New Mexico could have used both. When going thru some of dads old insurance receipts for various cars years ago, motor numbers on some and ID on others--but that could have been just insurance.

Wasn't someone whose family had a dealership in NM on the forum? Maybe he has insight or records as to how things were done and what was preferred or official.

Wonder how hard it would have been to move states in that period and re-register a car with different number system--particularly after a motor change if that was the significant one and a removable data plate to boot--or were bureaucrats that much mellower then.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 10:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It probably hasn't been the practice for decades but some time ago some states, Pennsylvania was one, would actually issue a metal tag with a state-issued replacement VN to be affixed when the original tag was missing. No doubt there was some period of investigation into the legitimatcy of the car before it was done. New Jersey and New York used vehicle numbers and not motor numbers in those cases I'm familiar with. To me, a Packard without an original patent or VN plate is automatically suspect and there are quite a few of the high-$ models that are bogus, what a shame people take these plates off and loose them or sell them on EBay. There ought to be a law! In fact there is a federal law and severe penalty for tampering with a VN plate but I guess enforcement is pretty much limited to chop shops, etc.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 10:57
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved