Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rebuilt Water Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I am slowly putting my '52 back together and noted a small rust trail from the weephole of my water pump. Since everything is apart, this seems like the time to fix it.
I have a rebuilt, but it looks like the rebuilder did not press the fan flange onto the shaft far enough. it looks like mine is further down the shaft by about 1/4 to 3/8 inches. I have attached a couple pictures. I do have a spacer between the flange and the pulley, but I don't think omitting it makes up the difference.
I may not be able to return this unit, so I am wondering if it is too difficult to fix this. I assume I would need to take he backplate off the pump, then I should be able to support the unit in a vice to press the flange down further, and reassemble.
If I can return this I might just rebuild mine own unit - is this very difficult to do? I probably don't have a puller for the shaft, but everything else I should be OK for.
Do these routinely leak a little through the weephole? I have never had to add any significant amount of water, but have also only driven a few thousand miles. It did see some miles before I bought it.
Also, I pulled the timing cover and need to reinstall it. It looks like I need to drop the pan to get the gasket under the timing cover installed correctly. Is there another way to address this?

Attach file:

jpg  (286.66 KB)
843_5b5bc107c50fc.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (296.71 KB)
843_5b5bc120d68c4.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2018/7/27 20:04
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Re: Rebuilt Water Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
You need a hydraulic press to do that. You make a fixture to seat the fan flange to the proper depth. This is NOT a hammer and vice job. If you don't have press, take to a local machine shop. You'll need the specs for them.
You can a decent one, 10-20 ton, for a couple hundred but takes shop space. Flange has to come off then reattach to proper depth. You need that to rebuild the old one too.
Weep hole is to show when the pump seal has failed so they should not leak normally. Your's appears bad.
I don't know internals of this particular pump but I know from direct experience some you can no longer get the OEM internals and rebuilder's kits have their own workaround solutions. So if you need parts, you're a bit stuck, unless you have access to machine shop and parts suppliers and can do the metrology.
The shaft and bearings are probably still available as a set and only needs the dimension to match. There's a supplier out there I've used. Seals are the issue, and your's appear faulty, I'd suggest to use the rebuild pump and fix the flange as most likely.

Posted on: 2018/7/27 21:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The rebuilt water pump is OK and cooling will be better with the fan closer to the radiator.
The hub on your old one is pressed onto the shaft too far.

Posted on: 2018/7/27 23:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The depth needs to be set to maintain pulley alignment with the crank and gen pulley otherwise you'll be throwing belts.

Posted on: 2018/7/28 9:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
With the old pump, my belt lined up with the balancer and the generator. There was, however, no P/S pump on, and this was originally a P/S car. My balancer had a one groove pulley on it, but my fan had a two groove pulley, one unused. It is possible that the rebuilt will just move everything out far enough to align the generator with the the back position of the two groves on the fan pulley, and that pulley may align with the back position on the balancer. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture to show which pulley I was using before. I am re-installing the P/S, so I will now have two groves on both the fan and the balancer.

I need to reinstall the timing cover to line everything up and check where the fit is.

My fan has a hole in the center that the end of the water pump shaft used to protrude through. The way the rebuilt is, that shaft is is about 1/8" below the flange for the fan. Does anyone out there know, on a P/S car, does this shaft protrude through the center of the fan? My car is a '52 150, so I assume a Mayfair would be similar.

Posted on: 2018/7/28 14:34
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
Do you know where I might be able to find the specs? I have a machine shop that I work with here. They are mostly a speed shop, but always are willing to help me. I doubt they would have specs for a Packard water pump.

Posted on: 2018/7/28 14:45
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
The online shop manual on here for 1951-54 Packard has a section on cooling that gives details on rebuilding the water pump.

Posted on: 2018/7/28 15:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Parts manual has 3 part numbers for 51-4 pumps. One for 51-52 regular use, one for 52-54 regular and PS cars and the third for 53-54 AC cars. I believe the difference is the hub depth. I doubt you will find written specs on what each is but if no one can measure theirs you might PM James or call the Packard guys at Kanter and see if someone would measure a 52-54 PS version 443424 pump for you.

Posted on: 2018/7/28 15:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
This is not too good a shot as it wasn't taken for the purpose but if you save and zoom in, you can get a good idea of where the flange is on a 1954 Patrician which has power steering. The pulley on the harmonic balancer is separate and attaches to the two holes used for a puller.

Attach file:

jpeg  (222.54 KB)
60923_5b5d65301822f.jpeg 1920X1441 px

jpeg  (19.52 KB)
60923_5b5d658daac08.jpeg 478X361 px

Posted on: 2018/7/29 1:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
Thank you - The pictures do help. You pump looks about like my rebuilt in terms of the location of the flange on the shaft. I put the balancer back on today and bolted up the pump, but it looks like the balancer pulley is almost a beltwidth closer to the block than the fan pulley, without the spacer that goes behind the fan pulley.
I do not have the timing chain cover on, but I don't believe that will affect the balancer, which butts up against the lower timing chain gear.
So, unless I am doing something wrong, I think that flange needs to go further down the shaft on my rebuilt unit.

Posted on: 2018/7/29 2:28
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved