Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 166

Ozstatman, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 115c transmission removal.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry Reber
See User information
HI to all,, I've been following the forum for about a year.
My current item is the removal / rebuild of the 115c 6cyl transmission. The manuals all direct you to remove through the passenger compartment after removing the floor boards.

My question is, can the transmission be removed from the bottom? All responces will be apppriciated..

My level of skill is a home repair/shop that well equiped, rebuilt a 49 Buick and a Modelt and keep all the daily drivers running, but working on jack stands due the the cieling height not allowing for a lift..... So not afraid to get greasy.....
Thanks LArry

Posted on: 2018/8/8 1:02
Larry Reber
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 115c transmission removal.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day LarryR,
to PackardInfo, nice looking Packard as seen in your Registry entry.

Regarding the trans, it should be able to be removed from undercar. I removed my '41's that way. Little different in that it has a "side shift" trans but essentially the same otherwise. You'd need to remove the stick shift top first as I believe you won't have enough room to drop it down with that in place. Probably make up a thick cardboard or ply "plate" to temporarily cover the trans to prevent oil loss if tipped. Think a trans jack or something similar on which to lower it would be a good idea. Now, after saying all that, I hope someone with direct experience will step in to confirm? Flackmaster?

Posted on: 2018/8/8 1:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
It is easiest to remove from inside the car - no need to remove the cover/shiftstick, no need to jack up the car, lie on your back, and risk dropping on your arm? Also much easier to install from the top.
Floorboard, singular.

Posted on: 2018/8/8 6:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
David,

Thanks for setting me straight.

Posted on: 2018/8/8 6:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry Reber
See User information
Thanks for the info. The reason I am hesitant to pull from the top is the car has a original floor mat , I'm afraid that as I try to remove it to access the floor boards that it will just fall appart, Does anyone know if there a product out there that will help restor some flexability to 81 year old rubber mats?

WELL........
Went out and checked under the carpet......
There is a large hole under the drivers heal and missing peices in other areas.....

So the question becomes ,
Does anyone make reproduction rubber mats for the front area of a 37 115c

Thanks to all, This is gonig to be a october project .

( I have owned the car for about a year and have been having fun driving it and had not checked under the carpet,,, The previous owner had the car from 74 and kept it garaged till I purchased it so I did not do a under carpet check prior to this posting...)

Posted on: 2018/8/8 21:32
Larry Reber
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've successfully restored smaller pieces of petrified rubber by soaking them in PB Blaster. This allows to rubber to absorb some of the oil and becomes flexible again. You'll need to check as it soaks as it's possible to over soak it and have the rubber get too mushy.

Your results may vary and you may want to test on a smaller portion.

Posted on: 2018/8/14 8:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry Reber
See User information
As I start working on the car I'll try some of the PB on the edge peices, I like the original mat sticking out from under the carpet edges.

Next will be opening up the trans and see what is damaged.

That will be after seting up and being part of the staff at the Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials in Wendover Utah next week followed sometime in September replacing the roof on the garage....

I know Motorcycles are not part of the forum but if you want to see these garge to factory built machines going FLAT OUT Come on down, up, over to the Bonneville International Speedway starting the last weekend of August.

Posted on: 2018/8/16 9:32
Larry Reber
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry Reber
See User information
Well, Have the Transmission out and now at Portland Transmission Exchange getting rebuilt... Found that the clutch disk rivits are still below the pressure plate bu .065" The throwout bearing needs replaced. Fly wheel looks good.

Posted on: 2019/2/6 1:11
Larry Reber
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I got a replacement floor mat from Don Lampen in Holland, MI. His contact info:

donaldlampen@yahoo.com

(616) 392-6605

The mat appears to be very well done, although I didn't have an original to compare it to. You may call him before you take yours all the way out - it's possible he could use pieces of it to improve his mold.

Posted on: 2019/2/14 13:37
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry Reber
See User information
UPDATE,,,,,,, 16 Feb
I pulled the transmission in mid January.
I delivered it to Portland OR, TRANSMISSION EXCHANGE Jan 29. A week later it was ready for pickup. (Its still in Portland thanks to the snow.)

I purchased a clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing from HAGENS Autoparts, Puyallup WA.
https://hagensautoparts.com/

So now need to actually pick up the parts and finish up the engine checks/rebuild and rear axel reseal..

NOTE: I read up on the engine work and "pull the front clip" was discussed several times, So never having pulled a clip before I proceded with caution... got three friends over and as discussed we lifted it off. Sure makes accessing the engine and front area of the car so much easier.

More later
Larry

Attach file:

jpg  (471.98 KB)
155070_5c684e86e57bc.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/2/16 12:55
Larry Reber
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved