Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 224

Ozstatman, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fire extinguisher
Just popping in
Just popping in

Wfisler
See User information
My father is a proud owner of a 1932 Super 8 tan & maroon convertible. They live in San Diego. I want to get him a fire extinguisher for his Packard for Christmas (yes, I'm a little late!). Can you help me find one that's both cool and the right kind for a 1932 Super 8 Packard?

Thank you!
Whitney (proud Packard daughter)

Attach file:

jpeg  (100.86 KB)
189123_5c22635de4ed7.jpeg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2018/12/25 12:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Fire extinguisher
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Hi proud Whitney (Wfisler), welcome to PackardInfo.com!

A related discussion you can find -> there.

Posted on: 2018/12/25 12:31
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You may have several brands suggested and in truth any fire extinguisher is better than nothing. Whatever you buy be sure and get one suitable for A,B,C type fires which will cover most anything found in an automobile. Some even recommend an extinguisher covering ABC&K type fires due to possible heavy oil and grease covered components that can be found in old original cars.

Downside to most of the extinguishers commercially available at parts and hardware stores etc is that the small ones in a size suitable for carrying in a car are more than likely a powder based dry chemical type extinguisher. The powder is a real mess to clean up and even if the fire doesn't do significant damage, the powder hitting and staying on the upholstery and finished surfaces can destroy something previously undamaged. I would avoid dry chemical types.

Many in the old car hobby are using and recommending clean agent extinguishers which use a heavier than air gas to smother the flames. They are a bit harder to find in smaller sizes than the less expensive and common powder type but perhaps worth the expense and effort when trying to minimize damage to rare and hard to replace or repair autos.

Fire Fight Products is one manufacturer of clean agent extinguishers geared toward old cars. You can see their offerings and read a description of the heavy gas operation on their site under the clean agent extinguisher typehttp://www.firefightproducts.com There are also other brands. Amazon carries a few different brand halon gas based extinguishers but not necessarily the same gas formulations are used in all brands.

Posted on: 2018/12/25 12:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Whitney,

You might also have a look at this recent thread on the AACA Forums.

And......introduce your Dad to PackardInfo, I'm sure he'll enjoy it!

Posted on: 2018/12/25 15:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved