Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 220

TxGoat, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Adjusting headlights on 1939 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I seem to be missing something. The headlights on the 1939 are not sealed beams and my units are disassembled but there seems to be no adjustment screws for adjusting the headlamps. The instructions talk about the lamps being pre- set and there are instructions for making sure the tires are properly inflated, car loaded with passenger and adjusting on a wall 25 feet away.
Was adjustment made by moving the headlight bucket itself by shims to focus?
The headlight replacement to a sealed beam 7" bulb will be simple enough if the lights can be focused by moving the buckets but trying to incorporate adjustment screws for focusing will take a lot more work.
Any hint will be appreciated.
Thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2019/5/1 2:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Adjusting headlights on 1939 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Don't you just loosen the big nut on the bottom of the fender and swing them around where you want them? Its a sort of spherical mount.

Posted on: 2019/5/1 7:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to get the nomenclature right, aim and focus are two different things; aim is done my moving the entire fixture to put the "hot spot" in the correct position. Focus is related to the position of the filament with respect to the curvature of the reflector which establishes the convergence or divergence of the beam. Your OEM bulbs were "pre-focused" in that regard so there is no focus adjustment with them, or would there be with sealed beams.

Posted on: 2019/5/1 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Gentlemen. Let us not quibble. If I can understand your respective comments, the original bulbs on the 39 and any 7" sealed beam which I may opt to install to replace them are " pre focused" and therefore all I can do is aim the beams to avoid blinding oncoming motorists and to hopefully allow me to see where I am going with higher output halogen or LED replacements.
Unlike modern cars, the "aim":will be accomplished by movement of the headlight buckets by " the big nuts on the bottom of the fenders"

Since my project car was dismantled by someone else years ago, I will endeavor to find the big nuts and swivel bracket to properly " aim" the lights. I assume the remaining instructions from the service manual regarding setting the lights individually with properly inflated tires, a level floor , proper ballast and 25' targeting will still apply.

I swore three projects ago to avoid any vehicle which had been dismantled by a third party....particularly when detailed service manuals and readily accessible vehicles of the vintage were unavailable for assistance. The
learning curve is too hard....and expensive.

I thank you both again. If it were not for the information offered freely by this Forum it would be far more difficult if not impossible to get these cars back on the road.
I will post pictures of the sealed beam conversion shortly.
RJR

Posted on: 2019/5/1 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have some of the dome-shaped washers and possibly even the nuts but the washers seemed smaller than I remembered them. Anyone know the approximate diameter so that I can be sure what mine are to make them available? We're they the same between multiple years?

Posted on: 2019/5/1 22:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I went through this process on my '39 Six and did it 'by the manual' drawing the horizontal line on the cardboard at 25' away, etc., and it went quite smoothly. For the gentleman reassembling the car, one would HOPE that the 'last guy' would have put the washers and nuts back on the base threads. If not and they can't be located, I can measure the washers on my car and advise. I recall it being a bit of a trick getting the buckets secure enough that they can still be manipulated for aiming and not have them so loose as to 'lose' the adjustment position as one tightens them up. There was also some confusion with the positions on the light switch and the wiring, with one of the notches being the 'city' position and high beam was affected in, I believe, one light. If I recall correctly, it is a 4-position switch?? The 'smart guys' can jump in here and clarify this, but it is definitely worthy of note, as without any specs on the switch, one can think there are wiring issues when, in fact, there are not. Chris

Posted on: 2019/5/2 0:56
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved