Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 118

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

water pump
Just popping in
Just popping in

Topher
See User information
I have a 1941 Packard 110. I am trying to replace the water pump and it seems that there is some kind of cross brace in front of it. I cant get the bolts out and I cant find anything that shows me what it is and how to remove it. any help would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2021/5/14 14:45
 Top  Print 

Re: water pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe you may be referring to the front motor mount as the piece in question. If it is the item indicated by the read arrow, that is the front mount support which bolts to the crossmember.

You have the 110 engine but that photo is not very clear so another photo is also posted of a 120 engine showing better detail. It has a similar if not the same mount.

The bar I think may be causing the problem is depicted by the red arrow. The actual motor mount connection to the engine block is done with rubber pads squeezed between metal plates that are bolted together at the yellow arrow. There are two pieces of rubber surrounding some protrusions in the mount halves which deteriorate and are squished down so the front of the engine sags. When this happens the mount prevents direct access to the bottom bolt on the pump. You will need to use a small jack and some wood blocking under the oil pan to take the weight of the engine off the mount and raise the front of the engine enough to get a socket on the bolt.

If the rubber has deteriorated you might want to take advantage of the downtime to replace the rubber pieces. Steel has them and probably Kanter too.https://www.steelerubber.com/motor-mount-pad-30-0238-11

Attach file:

jpg  110.jpg (113.01 KB)
209_609edbf5c3225.jpg 1090X750 px

jpg  120.jpg (93.23 KB)
209_609edc0255efb.jpg 1286X1064 px

Posted on: 2021/5/14 15:24
Howard
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Topher,
to PackardInfo.

All good advice from Howard, and I invite you to include your '41 110 in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/5/14 19:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Topher,

Howard's advice is spot-on, as usual; I wanted to add that once you have supported the engine with some wood and a jack, and taken the weight off the mount, you can remove the 2 bolts inside the metal 'cup' that sandwiches the rubber cushions together (and attaches the mount to the motor), and then lift the engine a 1/4" or so more, to really get good access to the pump. This will also help with cleaning the gasket surface area, lining up the new gasket and ensuring the pump seats fairly. Chris

Posted on: 2021/5/15 1:18
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Just popping in
Just popping in

Topher
See User information
Thank you, I will ;let you know how it goes.

Posted on: 2021/6/1 13:49
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Topher
See User information
Got the waterpump out today. Unfortunately 2 bolts broke, now I have to try to get them out.
very excited to make progress.

tried to look for a thermostat at Kanter auto and having trouble finding it.

Any suggestions for another parts place other than Kanter ?

Posted on: 2021/6/13 20:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kanter's thermostat listing for your 41 six is under engine items gr 5.0506 in the 110-120 parts category.https://www.kanter.com/packard/pac-120.html#5

He does show the thermostat as available so a phone call will probably find what you need. If not you can probably get a modern replacement at Napa. The x ref on site has several listed for postwar models but I don't see that anyone has added any listings for prewars yet.

As long as you have an old one or know the flange diameter and the temp range Napa can probably match something up.

Attach file:

jpg  thermostat.jpg (59.49 KB)
209_60c6b5c1cf479.jpg 1508X516 px

Posted on: 2021/6/13 20:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Topher
See User information
Thank you

Posted on: 2021/6/14 10:30
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Topher
See User information
I called them and was able to get some parts ordered, Thanks again.

Chris

Posted on: 2021/6/14 11:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey Topher,
On the 245 six, the thermostat fits up inside the neck of the rad-hose fitting and there is a wire ring or clip that retains it. The wire clip wasn't stainless originally and they are sometimes rusted to next-to-nothing. If yours is okay, and can be reused, fair and fine; if not John Ulrich Packard has had a nice stainless sleeve made up for this purpose and it works better than the clip. Not expensive, and being stainless, it's a one-time purchase. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/6/14 18:24
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved