Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 151

happy, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Pan removal...
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
One of the first things to do will be to drop and clean the pan and oil pump screen. Since the car is not hear yet. Can this be done with out too much trouble? With this being said, I simply want to make the engine run, see that there are no real problems, before I pull it entirely and re-gasket it. If I need to basically remove a lot of things just to do that, then out she comes first and tear it apart on the stand where I can rotate, clean and repaint it all.

Thanks, good morning, and maybe, just maybe I will post to the registry to avoid being chastised by the loon...

T&J

Posted on: 2009/4/10 6:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Pan removal...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's the official procedure. A couple of the bolts may give a bit of grief but not too much worse than any other engine.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.59 KB)
209_49df447ee4b6a.jpg 788X170 px

Posted on: 2009/4/10 8:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With the pan down, you might also want to pull a couple of main and rod bearing caps to inspect and check clearances. Plastigage should be quite adequate for checking clearances if the bearings and journals look OK. If you only check one main bearing, I'd suggest #3.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 8:52
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
Thanks for the input. May I ask why #3 specific?

Posted on: 2009/4/10 9:29
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
OK. after several tries I think this should work! If it does, this is how our Packard sits at this moment"

Attach file:

jpg  (101.74 KB)
1440_49df65374c2ec.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (103.28 KB)
1440_49df683fbed34.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/10 10:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Often #3 main bearing is the first or among the first to show effects of wear and/or lubrication issues.

If you'd be so kind, would you please provide me with your vehicle number and thief-proof number (large embossed # over the heater)? Send PM if you want to keep it confidential.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 11:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
I will be more than happy to share that info. I did notice the numbers above the heater. Was kinda curious why those were there... I still don't have it here.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/4/10 11:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
T&J's 1956 wrote:.........and maybe, just maybe I will post to the registry to avoid being chastised by the loon......T&J

Thomas and Jennifer,

While I resemble that remark, my "modus operandi" is somewhat different. I welcome new members to PackardInfo and invite them to include their Packard/s in the Owner Registry. After that it's up to the member whether they include it or not, there is no follow-up, chastising or haranguing. Except of course for a few Aussie members I know personally, so usually this is a once only request. But if you could include the Pat, I and many others would be most appreciative. And I see you've mastered the art of adding pics, which coupled with O_D's request, means you're almost half-way there already!
in advance and in anticipation.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 15:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
I sure wish there was an "I'm being sarcastic" button on 'Puters! I meant no disrespect! Just some friendly banter. I will not be able to answer many questions till I have the car here at my home. I know the basics: It seems to have all power options except "cool breeze" AKA air conditioning.

I read here some where that the glass fuel filter in line to the carb was not correct? Is this true? It sure looks like it is supposed to be there. Mine has it just like the one I read about...

Attached is a photo of my last resto: I hope it doesn't offend anyone.

Attach file:

jpg  (155.48 KB)
1440_49dfcab0ac6d1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (171.24 KB)
1440_49dfcad28c55a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/10 17:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
T&J's 1956 wrote: I sure wish there was an "I'm being sarcastic" button on 'Puters! I meant no disrespect! Just some friendly banter..........Attached is a photo of my last resto: I hope it doesn't offend anyone.

Thomas and Jennifer,

I know it's all said in fun.

Like the job you did on the truck, looks great.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 19:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved