Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Tire pressures
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Icarus
See User information
Hello everyone! I'm curious to what pressures everyone is running in their tires. I'm running 235/75 R15s on my car, and I'm running 28psi in the front and 32 in the rear, but I really have no idea if those are good pressures for the car.

Posted on: 2022/12/23 23:28
-1948 Packard Super Deluxe Eight LWB
 Top  Print 

Re: Tire pressures
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I usually run 35 in the front for easy steering and a little sharper handling. (sharp is a relative term for a bathtub Packard) At the rear I'd pump in 28 for a normal sedan, but for a long wheelbase heavy car 32 would be fine.

Posted on: 2022/12/24 8:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
For radials use the tire makers recommendations. If they don't publish go to a modern car with similar weight and aspect ratio (xxx/75 ...) and use that which is generally in the 32 to 35 range.

The Packard numbers are for bias ply and should not be used with radials. The angle of the cord sidewall of the bias ply tire creates a response to pressure that is more supportive than radials which is why they use lower pressures.

Posted on: 2022/12/24 9:04
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jw4
See User information
I would also recommend using the pressure specified on the tires themselves.

Posted on: 2022/12/24 11:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The tire pressure printed on the tires is typically the MAX rating that they should be and not intended to indicated the pressure to be used.

Posted on: 2022/12/24 12:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
When I first started running radials, I'd notice that I'd have plenty of center tread left when the sides wear wearing out. When I started driving pick-ups as a matter of course, I also started running the max pressure in the tires. If it said 44PSI on the sidewall, that's what I ran. I noticed also that my tread seemed to wear more evenly that way.

Go out, try something, make notes of how it works, and have your own experience.

Posted on: 2022/12/24 15:50
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When the tires warm up during driving, you will then be exceeding the manufacturer's rating which is a safety issue and the reason the rating is there.

Posted on: 2022/12/24 16:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I have yet to figure this out, at some point I'll get some tire chalk and see how they wear at different pressures. For the time being I'm using about 28 PSI in 235/75 R15 on my 55 400, but not to say that's the best number.

Posted on: 2022/12/24 23:56
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
As HPH mentioned, if you want to get even wear on the tires, the best way is to apply tire chalk, then drive the car back and forth on a level surface. It will quickly show if you are under or over inflated. That's how I do it on my overlanding rig....I found that about 38 on the front and 35 on the rear is perfect for my truck. Can't rely on someone else's experience because vehicles are different weights, running different tires, etc.

I'm not sure what my Panama is at currently, but I've been running about 28-30 front and rear on Diamondback tires. I'm not doing any long distance cruising. Just stuff around town. And the tires are comfortable and track straight. I have not done the chalk test, but I put so few miles on the car that these tires will last for many, many years.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/12/25 1:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I'd have to look again to be certain, but I'm awfully darned sure that the rating on the tire says "cold" beside the number.

I'm still trying to figure out why Harley-Davidson sells its bikes with bias ply tires still. It's definitely a different breed from a car tire.

Posted on: 2022/12/25 7:00
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved