Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Steer me on the right path please!
Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Good evening all,

Talk to me about caster and camber. My manual says 1.5deg for each. One of these adjustments is obvious,ie, steering tie rod, the other is not. Am trying to sort these out as i am having some tyre wear and steering issues.

Thank you.

Pat.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.51 KB)
1195_4a66475d2c7a7.jpg 1200X800 px

Posted on: 2009/7/21 17:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Steer me on the right path please!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Other than toe-in/out, adjustments on solid beam-axle cars like yours are done via bending of the axle (if needed) and shims; heavy trucks still utilize these suspensions and methods and heavy truck service centers are generally the best places to go. The enclosed may prove helpful to you, I think I actually retrieved them from this site a while back, thinking they'd come in handy.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.56 KB)
177_4a664ccc89de5.jpg 449X556 px

jpg  (40.58 KB)
177_4a664cd594f56.jpg 429X550 px

Posted on: 2009/7/21 18:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Note that on some cars with leaf springs and solid axle in the front, the center bolt of the spring may set closer to one end of the the spring than the other. If the springs were (or can be) installed backwards it will upset the caster angle.

Look on eBay for a caster/camber measureing tool. Usualy about $30-$40 each. Only need one but two make it easier. Be careful about what u buy tho. I use one called a Trik-ee caster camber measureing tool.

The tool is really only needed for caster measure. Works good for camber measure too. Camber can be measured with a common carpenters level. Toe in set with a tape measure. Need a good smooth level floor.

If u don't want to set alignments yourself then at least do a before-and-after the alignment shop check.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 21:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2009/7/21 21:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
PackardV8 wrote:......WHEN did the steering problems begin to occur????

Keith,

Probably about the time Pat started this thread.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2677&forum=1

Posted on: 2009/7/22 4:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. check for a bent wheel or broken spokes first. bent spindle. Other bent suspension parts. Grab the tie rod and twist it to check to see how much slack there is between tie rod ends or if it is in a bind between tie rod ends.

Wheel run out or out of round is usualy permissible up to 3/8 inch (about 1cm) on wires and stamped steel. Sure seems like a lot but a good solid 3/16 inch is about par for even new wheels.

Check toe in next, then camber, then caster. Adjust in reverse order.

Worn suspension parts????

Posted on: 2009/7/22 8:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
And don't forget that, if loose, tie rod ends on your 34 are adjustable for wear.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 8:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all.

After swopping over tires, rims and checking tracking I got no futher in resolving vibration and vague steering.

But I did find all the nuts on the u-bolts holding the axle in place to be loose to the point where most were only finger tight. I replaced all the springs, and shackel bolts around 6 months ago and at the time I did tighten up everything.

Guess I will be checking more often on future!

Thanks for you help!

Pat.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 8:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You may want to have your alignment and steering checked by a shop that does large trucks. Trucks still have solid axles and truck garages are familiar with repairing and aligning them.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Did u use LOCK WASHERS ????

Posted on: 2009/7/29 16:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved