Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 228

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lifting Motor out of car - lift points?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Hello all. Getting ready to lift the 327 onto the engine stand to prep it for putting into the 50. We lifted it out with heavy duty straps out of a car with nothing on the front but the chassis, but that won't be feasible in and out of the 50 and onto the engine stand where i'll have to get it close to level. On V8s they usually have lift tabs or you can get onto most anything (even the carb studs!) but i have no idea where to put a chain to lift this thing. Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks!
Cortcomp

Posted on: 2010/1/19 16:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Lifting Motor out of car - lift points?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I made an engine plate modified from one of those V8 plates that go on the carb, but this one fits the head.

If that doesn't work I've used a chain around the manifold in the front and a hook from the chain in the starter hole. This really works best when pulling, and not putting it in, as it's a PITA to handle.

Posted on: 2010/1/19 16:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Mike, here's what we use in the workshop. The two pic's are of my 120 engine/trans/OD but same principle applies.

EDIT - Sorry pic's didn't load(I'm using my brothers laptop so there's difficulty there for this technological dinosaur). But use this link to view Pic's #332 to 337 and you'll get the idea.http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/WadeSWorkshopDecember2009#5417584473765467394

Posted on: 2010/1/19 17:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Excellent ideas both...I was afraid that lifting on just a couple head studs on each side would hurt or strip something, but I think I'm just being too squeamish. I hate to pull the head in the car if i don't have to (and re install it in the car too)..Turbo, did you use the plate and just sandwich it above the head and snug it with the head bolts, or did you pull the head as they did to get more thread?

I have this one, can get another for the straight engines:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1015/

or even get something like this that's longer and can get more bolts?:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QTP-10100/

I swear, turbo has a light at his house that comes on when someone asks a question, he's always the first post when i have one!

Posted on: 2010/1/19 18:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'd go with the second one, that's essentially what I use. As for removing the head, I don't. If you put this in the center of the engine, you use about 10 bolts to hold it on. Leave off the washers and you have enough thread to secure the plate to the head. Of course, the spark plugs where this goes will have to be removed. 9-10 bolts is PLENTY to hold the engine.

[Turning light off now..]

Posted on: 2010/1/19 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Cortcomp: I have never pulled an engine from a Packard and this may be over kill in what I am about to state.

If I were lifting the engine I would purchase two of the QTP-10100 plates. You are lifting a engine that weighs it at better than 800 lbs. I hope my memory is correct about the weight.

The 327 engine is it a five main bearing engine or the nine main bearing engine.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/1/19 21:27
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
A '53 327 out of a Patrician would be a 9 bearing motor. 327s were made in 3 versions.

327 Solid Lifter, 5 Bearing >1953/54 Super and Deluxe Clippers
327 Hydraulic Lifter, 5 Bearing > 1953/54 Cavaliers and 1953 Mayfairs, Convertibles, Caribbeans
327 Hydraulic Lifter, 9 Bearing > 1953 and Prior Seniors (300s and 400s)

Posted on: 2010/1/19 21:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I never ran the numbers but i think it's a 9 main version. As soon as the engine plate gets here i'll make it fit and see how it lifts. It won't have to support it long term, just on and off the stand.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 23:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved