Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

34 heater shut off valve
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Guys,
We have had an unusual run of hot weather here in the U.K. and I have been a bit cautious when taking the old girl out after my spell of overheating, but she has performed very well and has not reached any critical temperatures thus far, so there has indeed been an improvement.
Last sunday it must have been in the 80's and becoming rather warm in the cab even with all the vents open and my wife complained that her feet were boiling. On checking I found the heater was throwing out tons of heat and I decided to shut off the valve on the rear of the cylinder head. This promptly stopped the heat in the cab but I noticed that the temperature gauge had also stopped working. On turning the valve on again the gauge started to function once more. But of course the heat was back.
The question is :- Is the valve the feed to the gauge or is this suggesting a blockage in the waterways in the head at the take off point for the water temp. gauge?
I am assuming that there are waterways in the head not being that familiar with this type of engine. If so any easy fix cures please.
Thanks in anticipation
Terry

Posted on: 2010/7/27 2:16
 Top  Print   

Re: 34 heater shut off valve
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like your valve location preceeds the capillary bulb on the temp gauge so it no longer is in the water circulation path when you close it. A picture or two of the locations of the valve and capillary bulb would be helpful to comment further.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 7:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave,
I've got the pics but I have totally forgotten how to post them onto the site but I will give it a try

Posted on: 2010/7/27 13:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I await your pictures, but the capillary bulb of the temp gauge should be within the coolant flow in the cylinder head. Anything other than that gives rise to the possibility of false readings.

Why not move your valve to the other end of the water flow which I assume is at the cast iron hose adapter up front by the oil cooler?

No pictures from my end, my 34 has the Kelch hot air heater.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 14:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply. I thought I had sent the pics but obviously I made a big snafu of it.
How do I get the pics onto the site? I have done it before but for the life of me I can't remember how.
Terry

Posted on: 2010/7/27 23:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Terry,

This FAQ, Photo Posting Guide Lines, may help.

Posted on: 2010/7/28 0:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Thanks Mal. Much appreciated.
Terry

Posted on: 2010/7/28 1:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Posting one of two pictures for Terry, and as suspected it shows that once the valve is closed the capillary bulb is no longer adequately exposed to coolant flow but just sits in a kind of backwater. Answer is to remove the valve assembly and relocate it the forward end of the other hose, and insert the temperature gauge capillary bulb directly into the cylinder head where it will experience the direct flow of coolant in the head.

The pictures you send me by email were too large to post, I reduced the one to 10 x 6 @150 pixels/inch which is a reasonable size for web posting.

Attach file:

jpg  (94.23 KB)
177_4c50277f641c1.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/7/28 7:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the e-mail reply and posting the picture onto the website.
I took the valve off this morning and it is actually in two halves. The top section comprises the heater shut off valve and the bottom the flow from the cylinder head to temperature bulb. The problem was that the hole feeding the bulb was full of crud and therefore was not allowing the bulb to heat up at that point but was getting a supply of water from the heater valve supply.
After a good clean out and re-assmble back on the engine everything was functioning as it should be and totally different readings from the gauge with the heater valve shut off. It now reads much cooler and not so much fluctuation on the gauge.
Once again thanks for the help.
Terry

Posted on: 2010/7/29 2:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad you found and solved the problem, and that it was that simple. As I think you can see from the configuration, the capillary bulb is in a bit of a dead-end of the flow, great place for crud to accumulate.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 8:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved