Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 151

58survivor, Stefanie, Guscha, John Sauser, JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Just popping in
Just popping in

thefargo
See User information
forgive my ignorance, and I've been searching through other threads before asking; were all 1949's 6 volt, positive to earth?
thanks

Posted on: 2010/12/11 3:50
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes, and all the way through 1954.

Posted on: 2010/12/11 6:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day thefargo,
Good to see another Aussie on PackardInfo, aboard.

Posted on: 2010/12/11 8:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

thefargo
See User information
I have now received my packard and am unsure exactly whether it is a 1949??

I can read some of the numbers on the body/engine/chassis

The body dash number (thief proof number) is <75206I>
There is stamped near the (unreadable compliance plate) "steering angles tested 29/6/48"
Engine number could be either: 389721288 OR 383721288 OR 298721288
another number found was: 102147

can anyone help me... I would like to restore it, eventually but am struggling to even identify what it is.

thanks
jude (on behalf of phil)

Posted on: 2010/12/19 0:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jude(for Phil),

Have you had a look in the Packard Model Info section here on PackardInfo, could help in identification. And if you post pic's the sharp eyed experts here(not me!) will certainly be able to help.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 0:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I guess your car has no vehicle number plate? It would be found on the driver's side of the cowl, just under the hood near the windshield, and would give numbers such as 22XX-XXXXX; that would fully identify the year, model, body style, and production number. A similar number on a small metal tag near the heater box on the passenger side of the cowl would have the number of the body manufacturer (Briggs) and also can serve as a partial identifier but could not distinguish a 48 from a 49.

Your body dash number identifies it as almost certainly a 1948, 22nd series, and probably a reasonably early one. With a slight addition of a single digit to the vehicle number, a 22nd series car could also be an early 1949 model and this distinction can only be made from the original vehicle number, no other physical differences other than a higher motor number (on the left side of the block). The numbers you gave ending in 288 were probably off the cylinder head, in two different sizes and fonts and separated by a space? They are simply casting numbers followed by the engine size (288 cubic inches)`for which the head was intended. the 102147 is a casting date.

I have no idea what a "compliance plate" is. Why not just post a couple of pictures?

Posted on: 2010/12/19 9:13
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

thefargo
See User information
thanks owen, the compliance plate is what you have called the small metal tag. In Australia all cars have a compliance plate, which gives the details that I'm after. Modern compliance plates state the id numbers, body type, paint type, options fitted etc. I'm sure it's what you are referring to. Unfortunately mine is a square of rusted metal.
I will get some pics up as soon as I can.
I have taken some digital film, using a flip video, but it is not of a format that will load here. I'll borrow a digital camera, or use my mobile phone tomorrow.
I have been impressed with a quick look at e-bay america, there were about 10 - 11 pages of parts! E-bay Australia had 5 listings and thats all!
It appears that I can buy most parts from USA. unfortunately it looks like I may need lots!
Asking around, it seems as though Packards were very rare here in South Australia, so in many ways I'm keen to restore this one, to keep at least one or two on the road, and also because of the rarity.
thanks again for the help.

Posted on: 2010/12/20 6:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
compliance plates state the id numbers, body type, paint type, options fitted etc. I'm sure it's what you are referring to. Unfortunately mine is a square of rusted metal.

Not sure we're talking about the same thing, the Packard VN plate was made of aluminum and therefore non-rusting. The Briggs tag (near the heater) was steel, but did not necessarily give a full VN. Look again at the horizontal section of the cowl, under the hood, in front of the driver's windshield - are there 4 holes where the VN plate would have been attached (but is now missing)? It would look something like this though the early 1948 style would show delivering dealer and date of delivery rather than paint and trim. The vehicle # would be stamped into the metal and visible even if the paint was worn off. The other information could have been stamped into the metal, or with ink in which case it could have worn off.

If this plate is missing, there is usually no way to recover the original vehicle number unless you can find it from prior documentation by previous owners.

Attach file:

jpg  (88.20 KB)
177_4d0f6ad9d8bcf.jpg 768X708 px

Posted on: 2010/12/20 9:42
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

thefargo
See User information
once again, thanks Owen, unfortunately I do not have that plate on the vehicle.
I am attaching some pics, I hope they work and may give an idea as to what the vehicle looks like. I will get more pics up as soon as possible.
phil

Attach file:

jpg  (15.89 KB)
3343_4d1009ff2acc6.jpg 240X180 px

jpg  (15.09 KB)
3343_4d100a0fc4dde.jpg 240X180 px

Posted on: 2010/12/20 21:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Fargo:
Bottom pic in your last post. Just to the left of Packard is a small kind'a Jeep looking vehicle w/canvas top. What is that???? Is it 4wd???

Posted on: 2010/12/20 21:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved