Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 65

PackardSanta, Craig the Clipper Man, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help! Stuck door hinge screws.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I'm working on my '37 115c and CAN NOT get the doors off. The door hinges are held on with 5/16-24 tapered flat head (straight blade, not phillips) screws.

Things I've tried:

- Lots of PB-40 and CRC Freeze-off penetrating oils
- Impact screwdriver
- Heating the backside nut cherry red with a torch
- Heating the front of the screw (headside) cherry red with a torch
- I tried welding a nut to one of the screws, but I couldn't get a nut to stick to the head of the screw with the welder I have.

I'm fresh out of ideas and bits for my hand impact driver (shattered three). I really want to get the doors off before I pull the body, but with 22 screws to remove (plus six bolts) and ZERO screws out, I'm stuck.

Anyone have any ideas?

Posted on: 2011/5/18 16:37
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Re: Help! Stuck door hinge screws.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This may be one of those give up and drill them out messes. Other than keeping them dosed well with PB & letting them soak a few days, it sounds like about the only thing not tried is heat them up and immediately hit with very cold water a couple of times. Sometimes the expansion and sudden shock of contracting will help. Of course, it does the bolts no good but sounds as if they are toast anyway.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 16:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are they brass screws?

Posted on: 2011/5/18 19:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
I am pretty sure these bolts in the picture are the same type as the offending bolts Ken is trying to deal with. I believe these came from some rear doors off a 1082 or 1092 sedan.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.12 KB)
1153_4dd4680869748.jpg 525X873 px

Posted on: 2011/5/18 19:45
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
If they are like those in the picture, there' not much purchase for a screwdriver.

It seems you have tried just about every technique and, although I'm no expert in these matters, my preferred route is to use a brace and bit. Getting some weight behing it and turning very slowly sometimes works.

The problem with impact drivers is that the shock only serves to damage the head (or bit)rather than turn it.

Good luck

Posted on: 2011/5/19 1:34
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved