Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 191

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

oil type?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ironsloth
See User information
I'm new to Packard's, but very excited. I recently purchased my grandfathers 56 clipper super.It has 52,000 original miles, but hadnt been started since 69.Until now. I have an old friend that has experiene restoring old cars, but he hasn't done one since the 70's. I have the first few quention's. Should I flush the engine with a flush you can buy at the store? What type of oil should I use? I've heard of oil with or without conditioners? Should I use lead substitute in the fuel? What octane? Tranny fluid?

So far I have had to swap out the radiator and fuel tank.
I got her running and she actually runs very well.

I have a million more question's and look forward to speeking and getting to know other Packard lover's.

Thank you,

Posted on: 2011/11/20 1:55
 Top  Print   

Re: oil type?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ironsloth,
to PackardInfo and congratulations on the purchase of your grandfather's '56 Super Clipper. In regard to your questions I'll leave that to the experienced and knowledgeable Packard V8 guys to respond. However I did find a FAQ titled ULTRAMATIC: What Fluid to Use on Site, which should be helpful. And I invite you to include your '56 Super Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 2:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
The following is my opinion:

Gas:
lowest octane you can find, probably 87 octane.

Oil:
Classic Car Motor Oilhttp://www.classiccarmotoroil.com/index.html

or

Castrol SynTech has a classic car oil nowhttp://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=7032644

No need for lead substitute. If the engine is gonna go, that lead substitute isn't going to prevent it.

Good luck with the car. Please share some pictures if you can.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 3:35
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper Eight Limousine
'41 Cadillac Sixty-Seven Series
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Lots of different opinions as to oil, gas and trans fluid. But before you consider oil I'd very strongly recommend you drop the oil pan and clean it and the oil pump intake screen. Many of us use Shell Rotella T SAE15-40 oil which still contains the zinc/phosphorous oil additive (though at slightly reduced quantities) which some folks believe contributes needed added protection. Whether such additives are really needed in these low-stressed engines is open to question.

Your compression ratio is 9.5/1 which may prove marginal for regular (87 octane) gasoline. Certainly you could start out with regular after you drop and clean the tank, flush the fuel lines, replace the filters, etc. You'll almost certainly have to rebuild (or have rebuilt) the fuel pump as the rubber components in it likely date to the era before ethanol-containing gasoline and thus will have a very short life. Chances are after all those years the carburetor will also require diassembly and cleaning, at the very least. If after road testing and the ignition timing has been verified, you experience any spark knock, move up to mid-grade or premium.

It would probably also be a good idea to drop the transmission pan and clean it and the filter (reusable filter). I'd also drain the converter (see shop manual) and refill with the fluid of your choice. It seems almost every type of fluid has found an advocate somewhere; that most closely resembling the original is Type F, widely available.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 9:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Ironsloth:

For your car the Packard manual recommends Premium (high octane) fuel. Given it doesn't have a knock sensor there is no computer to adjust timing for regular fuel. Petroleum company studies have shown that there are levels of nonaudible detonation which accelerate motor wear. So for normal driving I would use a premium grade (ouch), but for testing and light usage I suppose regular won't hurt anything.

As for oil, dropping the pan is an excellent recommendation because the drain plug is in a bad location and causes sludge build up. Personally, I prefer lighter grades of oil for all gasoline motors (as did Packard), but given the history of the Packard V-8 I really don't know what would be best although I would definitely avoid heavy grades like 20w-50.

Good luck with your car,

Posted on: 2011/11/20 10:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ironsloth
See User information
Thank you all for the helpful fluids answers. I've been useing rotella oil in my Dodge cummins and my C15 Cat in my Peterbuilt with Lucas oil additive. The price is great at walmart and the test come back possitive feedback. would you suggest an additive like Lucas? I planned on dropping the oil pan today, but damn looks time consuming! Did'nt have the time today. I definantly need to pull the fuel tank and have it cleaned or if you have any ideas for do it yourself? i had a local radiator shop quaot me $300 to clean and coat the inside with a plastic coating. Looking in the tank I did'nt think that would be a good idea considering how the pickup tube works. I will try to post some pics if I can figure it out. I recently purchased two more cars thinking I was going to use them as parts cars. I paid $1,200 for both. 56 two door, push button tranny, 8 on a sclae for restorabilty. I cannot figure out what model it is. I haven't done a whole lot of research on it yet. just matching pics and a little reading on it. Any telltale sign's that I'm missing? The other is a 56 clipper delux that has many quality parts that I can use. Engine turns over by hand. Perfect grill, front bumper, radiator, one side window, tail lights, right fender, glass washer fluid resevour, ect.

Thanks again guys

Posted on: 2011/11/20 22:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved