Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 219

BigKev, kevinpackard, Packardbarry, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

47 Clipper parts ID, please
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Blandford
See User information
Friends,

Two questions, please:

- I had fun driving my 1947 Clipper 6 cylinder this summer; but after enjoying a half dozen Family pleasure cruises last year in my original 32,000 miles Packard, I thoroughly toasted the original exhaust manifold gaskets. Now, the car is blowing & sputtering lots of exhaust gases from the non-existent gaskets. This weekend, I successfully removed (and separated) the exhaust & intake manifolds, with the intention of clean-up, paint-up, new bushings on the intake warm-up butterfly, and new gaskets against the block.

1st question - what's the part (see attached "Manifold Fitting 2") that screws into the upper portion of the intake manifold ? There's a flared steel tube that connects this part from the intake to the lower side of the engine block. My guess is that it's some type of crankcase heat or gas exchange. The actual fitting has a spring mechanism inside; but it doesn't actually shut-off or restrict flow, when you blow it from either end. Is this a stock Packard part ? It has an engraved part number of AC 1543973; but I can't find any reference to this number on search engines. Does the car need this part to run properly ? There seems to be a baked-on tar inside the intake manifold that would seem to be there because this valve is sucking oil vapors from the engine block.

2nd question - Can I get an ID on the plunger switch part (see switch 3) ? My car is great, because it has very low miles and no rust; but the first owner disabled & removed the Electromatic clutch and some of the R9 overdrive parts. This part was in my glovebox when I bought the car, so it could belong anyplace. I am not interested in restoring the Electromatic; but I am absolutely going to get the overdrive working again. I bought a new lockout cable for the overdrive, and I have also located & cleaned the kickdown switch on the gas pedal linkage. Is this plunger switch part of the overdrive system ?

Thanks in advance for the feedback ! ! ! !

Best regards,

Dave Blandford
office = daveb@heatermeals.com
home = dblandford@cinci.rr.com
cell 513-205-3188

Attach file:

jpg  (44.87 KB)
506_4f1448867f17f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (50.54 KB)
506_4f14489e1bb79.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/1/15 22:45
1947 Clipper Touring Sedan
21st Series - 2182
4 door, 3 Speed w/Overdrive, 6 cylinder
with 33,000 original miles
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=277
 Top  Print   

Re: 47 Clipper parts ID, please
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Dave, I believe the switch is for the back-up lite. The bracket mounted to the lower portion of the steering column and the reverse lever activates plunger to turn on back up lite. It could also be od reverse lock out switch. If the manifold item was screwed into the intake I believe it was part of electromatic clutch vacumn source. If the electromatic is disabled just put a pipe plug in opening. Good luck

Posted on: 2012/1/16 12:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't remember any thing extra in the Electromatic vacuum source tubing setup. As I recall, it was about 1/2" diameter steel tube and went straight into a brass flare fitting on intake manifold but if that's large enough, maybe so.

Did the six use the excess fuel dump valve? Some 8's at least used an affair similar to that item pictured. It was located on the bottom of intake manifold near the rear. Had a tube that dropped almost straight down but was open to ground. Believe there was another version that had the valve or a fitting on the open end.

That looks like the early reverse light switch. If you still have one, it may have been changed to the 4 terminal R9 OD safety version--article is unclear if old bracket was to be reused if a switch was present. Think new switch came complete with a new bracket. If you have nothing, and are going to use the R9 OD you may want to read the article in service counselor 21 #15 on reverse lockout safety switch and consider adding that type.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.57 KB)
209_4f14640eb281a.jpg 718X549 px

Posted on: 2012/1/16 12:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You said that tube went to engine block. Was it tapped into block or just attached. If tapped into, maybe some kind of retrofit PCV??--although I would have thought that would go to valve chamber. I know California required retrofit things like that in the 60's so maybe that state did the same and was an early effort. Are any of the original crankcase ventilation parts blocked off?

Posted on: 2012/1/16 20:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Blandford
See User information
The pipe is definitely tapped into the lower backside of the intake manifold, and it bends down towards the back of the engine block, where it screws into another large female fitting that is tapped into the crankcase immediately to the left of the back valve adjustment cover.

The fitting pictured is the piece nearest the intake.

I spoke with Frank from Northern Illinois, and his guess is that it's some type of retrofit using the engine block fitting where the crankcase open vent pipe might have been.

The car is an original Cincinnati, Ohio purchased vehicle, and I don't know why the adaption was made. I have read a lot about bad press or the open crankcase vent tubes on older cars; but it would seem that there would be some info someplace on the web if this is a primitive PCV valve.

Bottom line = the part in question isn't functioning, as there is a hardened dark tar on the inside of the intake manifold from this breather tube. It appears to have a spring mechanism; but there's nothing to stop (or limit) the flow of oily crankcase gases.

I need a time machine or a crystal ball.

Thanks !

Best regards,

Dave Blandford
Cell 513-205-388

Posted on: 2012/1/16 22:13
1947 Clipper Touring Sedan
21st Series - 2182
4 door, 3 Speed w/Overdrive, 6 cylinder
with 33,000 original miles
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=277
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
I know that on 6 cyl taxicabs the pipe you describe is part of the crankcase ventilation system. I will try to post pictures tomorrow.
Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/1/16 22:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a description of California's early implementation for one mfg. Sounds as if the factory taxi setup was very similar and beat them to the punch. Did they block off the vent tube on Packards since it has the extra opening into the block? That might be worth looking at unless you clean the valve and restore it's function.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.86 KB)
209_4f14f1aba3d5a.jpg 515X142 px

Posted on: 2012/1/16 23:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Pvc attaches to intake manifold and the other end is attached to the engine block with a threaded fitting just to tha rear of valve cover.

Attach file:

jpg  (66.86 KB)
971_4f1f488432f74.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/1/24 19:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, I would interpret what you posted to mean the text refers to the FoMoCo 144 and 170 cu. in. 6-cylinder engines that powered the Ford Falcons and Mercury Comets of the era. Correcto? I think the MoPar 6-cyliners of the age were 170 and 225 cu. in. motors. GM, I don't recall.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/24 22:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
John, I think that piece was from a Ford forum but everyone suffered thru it. I moved out here in 63 and it was in full swing. Didn't have a car then but remember my aunt raising cain. She was going to buy a used Chevy and had to take it to some special install place that was quite a ways from her. Had to take a day off because they wouldn't do it on Sat.

Posted on: 2012/1/24 23:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved