Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

intake manifold?
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
would a packard 400 patrition 4 bbl intake fit on a 52 327 ?

Posted on: 2012/1/26 20:53
 Top  Print   

Re: intake manifold?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
AFAIK, all intake/exhaust sets are interchangeable among the 288, 327, 359 and maybe the 356? engines.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
found a manifold ;now Im looking for the wcfb model 985 s carb and an aircleaner thatll fit anyone have one ? I spotted on on ebay but some hass it on that auto-bid thing theat beats you every time

Posted on: 2012/1/27 18:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
yep I got auto bidded out of the carb !
,anyone have a 4 bb; wcfb that would be ok fo a core that they want to sell?
I looked into the 228 head that I was thinking to put on the 327 ,they cost about 500.00 for an iron one ,the edmunds reproduction aluminum head is made by empire motors in el paso ,i asked them for a price ,the advantge is heat dissipation ?

Posted on: 2012/1/28 18:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

I looked into the 228 head that I was thinking to put on the 327 ,they cost about 500.00 for an iron one ,the edmunds reproduction aluminum head is made by empire motors in el paso ,i asked them for a price ,the advantge is heat dissipation ?

Just curious....what type of iron head are you looking at for $500? The advantage of an aluminum head is more show than go on a flathead 8. Packard had one on the 1954 359 senior engines and they were problematic, especially if the coolant wasn't maintained or if the engine overheated.

I also recall some problems with Empire a while back regarding filling orders in a timely manner. Maybe things are better now but you might want to do some homework before committing.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 22:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Geez Louise, I'll sell you three 288 heads for that money.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 12:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agreed, Ross. It seems you're almost constantly tripping over them at Hershey for $100 a piece, give or take.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 13:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed there are plenty off 288 Heads/Door Stops out there. You probably could buy two non running 288 motors for $500.

Those are not the type of parts you buy from the national vendors, as gouging will ensue. Much cheaper if you look locally and ask nicely!

Posted on: 2012/1/29 21:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I can confirm that the 356 manifolds bolt directly to the 288/327/359 blocks. Saw one this weekend. Also they all use the same manifold gaskets for further confirmation.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 21:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
thanks I found an intake for cheaper on the inernet but AI have a few detail questions ,

I wonder if the spring which works the weight controlling the thermostat is on backward or not.the rod turns freely luckilly ,the spring faces forward if one was looking from the front of the car to the back would it be spiraling clockwaise or counterclockwise i.e would the little hook at the end of the spring which rests on the manifolds pin be facing in or out wards ,
when cold is the weight is held horizontal by the spring holding the flap so hot air goes up under the carb ,when it gets hotter does it loosen allowing the weight to drop,, or does it get tighter holding the weight up? also is there supposed to be a gasket between the intake and the exhaust section of the manifold pieces where they bolt together ? The diagram shows a heat shield I think that seems to sit on two of the carb studs
now to find a 288 head!
who ever you are that has three heads for 500 Ill buy one of them from you ,is it flat? the Kanter guys want 500 but they check it for cracks and flatnness ,
the empire re cast aluminum head is 1800! am serching around for the 4 bbl wcfd carter for a core ,that I can buy to use as a core for a rebuilt

Posted on: 2012/2/6 1:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved