Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard help
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ricky Dean
See User information
Hello everyone, Im new to the site.
I recently purchased my first Packard (1955 Packard clipper custom sedan)
I absolutely fell in love with the car when i first saw it
waited two years for the guy to finally let it go...
I want to do a full restore on the car...
It's in decent condition now, but i dont know much about Packard's,and cars in general. I figured this would be a great place to gather information and get opinions on what to do and how to do it. So all help is appreciated.

I've bin trying to figure out some information about my car as far as the package, is the paint right and everything... it's three toned which i haven't seen in my own research for this model? was wondering if it was repainted or original...

my car is 1955 Packard Clipper Custom, 4 door, Original 352 with 30,006 miles.

here are a few pics...
again any help would be great, i looked at the dealership brochures and nothing really added up as far as paint and interior.

thank you

Attach file:

jpg  (63.24 KB)
4390_4f4937a8efe9f.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (62.60 KB)
4390_4f4937b73cd71.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (42.04 KB)
4390_4f4937c2eac8c.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (43.68 KB)
4390_4f49380d0d1c0.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  (32.70 KB)
4390_4f4938b62d661.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2012/2/25 14:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
How about a picture of the door tag - shows vehicle number and paint and trim code. Found on door pillar below top hinge.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 14:41
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ricky Dean
See User information
didn't even think about that, i will get that and post it in a bit. Thank you!

Posted on: 2012/2/25 14:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Three-tone was not available as a standard production option for anything but Caribbean. However, the factory has been known to make a few (documented) exceptions, with special dispensation.

More likely, someone added the black lower color, as a matter of personal preference, during a later paint touch-up. The middle color, as shown in your photos, looks like Rose Quartz (Code U), but that color was, technically, available on Caribbean only. My gut feeling is that this car was originally painted in White Jade (Code N) and Sardonyx (Code R).

Your interior looks to be authentic - likely, Trim Set/Code 40.

Codes from the body tag will tell the original tale.

Along these lines, you might want to download the 1955 Dealer Showroom Album from the site's archive - a rare piece, with lots of good info.

Meanwhile, it looks like someone borrowed the trunk ornament (if not entire lid) from a Senior car.

Regardless, it's a good looking car. Glad to see another one turn up in Pennsyltucky.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 15:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ricky,
Congratulations on the acquisition of your '55 Clipper Custom and to PackardInfo. I invite to include your Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 15:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Congratulations - looks like a great car. Good luck on the restoration. It's always good to see pictures of the progress over time. There is alot of expertise on this site to assist.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Great looking car. Looks to me like someone loved that Clipper for many years! Funs awaits!

Posted on: 2012/2/25 19:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Agreed,very nice car Ricky and it looks like a solid trophy to restore. Regardless of whether it's supposed to be 3 tone or not, it would have fit right into the era that it came from...in fact, Studebaker had a color called Rosebud that came out in late '56 that looks real close to the Rose Quartz on your car and was often used with black and white. Studebaker was notorious for using 3 tone paint schemes during that time and yours looks pretty darn sharp with the black accent...seems like there may be a very slim chance that it was ordered that way or maybe even altered by the dealership since the Rose Quartz appears on the '55 color chart even though it was reserved for the Caribbean...just my worth

Posted on: 2012/2/27 10:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved