Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wheels - Original Size or Rim
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Chaireasy3
See User information
Hello
Im new to this forum. Im really enjoying this site. anyway, when i bought my Clipper, it came with baby moons for wheels. He gave me the original rims and my being new to oldies, I gave the rims to my neighbor for his ranch trailers and stuff like that. So now i want to get some rims for my clipper and im not sure if the rims were original packard rims or if i can just buy whichever rims that are the right size and paint them the same color as the car. I had the hub caps refinished and they look beautiful and now i wanna get the rims and new white walls for it
Does anyone know a good place to find some nice white walls and rims to got with them??

Thank you
Elias

PS I have a 1953 Packard Clipper.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.06 KB)
4426_4f5d0cca110bb.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (11.96 KB)
4426_4f5d0ce201695.jpg 320X240 px

Posted on: 2012/3/11 15:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Wheels - Original Size or Rim
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Elias,
to PackardInfo and for including your '53 Clipper Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Can't really help about the wheels, but this recent thread may be of assistance. Additionally, BigKev's Blog is always a good reference, covering many matters as he's gone through his '54 Clipper.

Posted on: 2012/3/11 18:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Nice car Elias and welcome to the site. There are plenty of Packard rims available and it's the same tires. I bought my wide white tires via Discount Tires. There are many sources to help you.

Posted on: 2012/3/11 20:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:
So now i want to get some rims for my clipper and im not sure if the rims were original packard rims or if i can just buy whichever rims that are the right size and paint them the same color as the car.

That's a very nice '53 Elias, congratulations! I can tell you from experience that the Packard wheels are unique to themselves only. I'm the guy that posted the thread that Mal (Ozstatman) was referring to and I have been on a mission to find a set of wheels for my '53 Clipper too. I recently confirmed that early 50's thru some early 60's Buick wheels would fit the Clippers with just a slight difference in offset however, I just this weekend also discovered that Packard full wheel covers will not fit the Buick Wheels without severely distorting the "teeth" that grip the inside lip of the wheel. I obtained measurements that appeared to indicate compatibility however the Buick wheels are slightly smaller where the covers should go and will not fit. I tried using a rubber mallet but could barely get them to start into the wheel. Sure, they might eventually go but it would require forcing them and then they may not grip the inside of the wheel correctly. So, the Buick wheel is best left on a Buick and Packard wheel on a Packard although I may keep one of the Buick wheels for a spare tire wheel...so the search goes on. I hope you have better luck finding some original wheels than I have had.

Posted on: 2012/3/11 21:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Elias,

Reading back through the thread I referenced earlier, the first part of the post below gives you the scope for the wheel search for your '51.
Quote:
BigKev wrote:51 - 53 (Junior All) and '54 Clipper Super are all the same size rim and bolt pattern. Larger pattern and larger center hole

54 Clipper (Deluxe and Special) are a smaller bolt pattern (5 x 4.5), and smaller center hole. This is also the same wheel used on the 55 Clippers.

Posted on: 2012/3/11 22:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Chaireasy3
See User information
Thanks Gator and Kev

Yea my uncle put his 46 Buick wheels on the car once for a wedding......they looked gorgeous but way too obvious that they didnt belong...

Thanks for the info....though

My Friend is looking for the rims in hopes he finds them. I still have the original spare tire and hopefully the others will turn up.

Posted on: 2012/3/12 22:20
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Chaireasy3
See User information
Oh and thanks Ozstatman for the size on the 56, good info.

Is there a place on the forum to post pics of the car inside and outside of the car so people can give me suggestions on making the car just pop???

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/3/12 22:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved