Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 84

Todd W. White, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Re-chroming
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rhlevine
See User information
Thanks to everyone that has helped me with me " new " 1952 Packard 300 4-door sedan. I have another question for you folks:

My kids had several parts re-chromed before they surprised me with the car and they look great. The parts that are still pitted and need attention are the grill and door handles. Is there anything short of re-chroming that is economical and acceptable for these parts?

rhlevine

Posted on: 2012/4/30 16:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Re-chroming
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sometimes buying a "better" used replacement part is cheaper then paying for a rechrome. Always cheaper later to rechome if there are no pits then if there are.

You would be surprised what a little light oil and steel wool will do to drastically improve the look of chrome. (even pitted)

Posted on: 2012/4/30 16:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Example from my '54:

Before

Click to see original Image in a new window

After

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/4/30 17:00
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear rhl:

Those grilles have always been tough because the objective was to sell new cars and have them traded after five years.

You have a few choices:

One is to find someone doing spray silver which is shiny like chrome, but purely decorative (not easy).

Another, is to just buff your grille using rouge (available from paint suppliers and McMaster Carr) You will need some body shop equipment as well.

Another choice is have the platers strip the chrome and polish the zinc casting, then immediately take it to a body shop and have them clear coat it.

I know someone who passed out when they priced chroming a 55 Studebaker grille so they painted it body tone. The darn thing looked better.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
You can buy the handles from Tucson Packard cheaper than having your pitted ones rechromed. They are beautiful, he uses an excellent chrome shop. The grille is another matter, it may be the largest die cast chrome piece made for production use at the time. Quite costly to rechrome. Bide your time and go to the Packard shows and Hershey, you will find a decent used one you can live with.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 19:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Don't use steel wool on your chrome, it is to abrasive and will leave scuff marks in the plating.

Use copper or bronze wool, it is softer, and minimizes the swirl marks. You can find it most places with the kitchen cleaning supplies. A good multi-purpose oil like 3-In-1 works good as well.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 19:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've never had any problem with 000 steel wool.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 23:40
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc gonzo
See User information
What type of of oil do you guys use?

Posted on: 2012/4/30 23:59
Packard on a budget
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
If you piece is pitted and you knock it down and polish with steel wool, would putting a clear coat paint on it keep it from rerusting or would the clear coat discolor over time?

Posted on: 2012/5/1 6:53
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
....would putting a clear coat paint on it keep it from rerusting or would the clear coat discolor over time?

Maybe today's stuff is better but the clear lacquer & enamel they used during the "war chrome" years was horrible. Even Packard issued a caution or two about caring for and being gentle with it. Not thinking much of anything sticks well to chrome or would last long in typical use conditions.

The original stuff discolored to yellowish or cloudy, crazed and flaked off, wind wear made it thin, aggressive washing scratched it -- essentially just about anything except maybe looking at it made for a short life. Once breached, the pot metal started corroding and steel started rusting. I expect even today's modern miracle compounds would be taxed.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 9:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved