Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 100

Aiden, humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Battery cable removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
On a positive ground 1951 Packard with Optima battery should you remove the positive ground cable when car is sitting in garage for safety? Or does it not matter?

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/6/21 11:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Battery cable removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Doesn't really matter but I believe most feel that disconnecting the ground side is safest. If anything dropped or somehow contacted the live side terminal to the chassis, with ground disconnected nothing could complete the circuit.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 11:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I agree with Howard (as usual). Disconnecting whichever is ground is the safest approach.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Okay thanks--if the car is sitting under cover or in a garage and covered what is the risk with keeping the positive ground cable connected? Did people do this back in the day?

Posted on: 2012/6/21 16:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Probably none in that situation. What could occur is if, with the hood open, you dropped something metallic like a wrench that touched both the negative terminal and the chassis or sheet metal of the car in which case you'd have a dead short circuit. Another possibility is if the battery hold down strap or cover touched the negative terminal. Hence it's safer to disconnect the ground.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 17:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Packard0:

If the car is going to sit, disconnect the battery.

You never know what might happen to all those live wires floating around. Disconnecting ground is safer because you can't short the wrench against anything.

Also, there may be carbon tracks in things like the ignition switch that will trickle away charge.

Still another is the clock. If the battery runs down, the clock starts using higher amperage.

I've known people who let cars sit with batteries connected for ages with no ill effects. Usually, the clocks didn't work. But one case comes to mind of someone we all know who had a fire start in one of his cars. After that he had me putting disconnect switches on everything he owned.

The only time I didn't recommend power disconnect was in cases where the owner would say something obnoxious like "Is there is some reason to disconnect the battery? I suppose I should take the car to somebody who can fix it." blah, blah, blah. One time I was told that anything can be fixed given enough money is thrown at the problem. My response was - "Then build a time machine."

Posted on: 2012/6/21 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Thanks for all the answers, I also now think it best to disconnect.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 18:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved