Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 236

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Identify the engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the usual 356 motor number location. It might be partially obscured behind the oil filler pipe. With a Oct 48 casting date a 356 will probably start G6xxxxx although there is a slim possibility it was in 23rd series production so would be H6xxxxx. It could also be a service engine with no number although missing some kind of number seems to be an exception.

Attach file:

jpg  (123.14 KB)
209_5bb29edaafbf8.jpg 1280X799 px

Posted on: 2018/10/1 17:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
My 1949 Deluxe Eight Series 23 sedan has a 288 engine and a 1954 cylinder head marked 327 on top. I guess I have a factory hot rod, too. Gotta say, I haven't noticed a tendency to break the rear tires loose on acceleration.

Posted on: 2018/10/4 2:10
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Gotta say, I haven't noticed a tendency to break the rear tires loose on acceleration."
Probably won't, I believe use of a 327 head on a 288 actually lowers the compression while a 288 head on a 327 has the opposite effect.

Posted on: 2018/10/4 2:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I believe that some Packards have been known to have traction problems. Before everyone gets too grumpy, I parked the Barrymore Twelve over someone elses tyre marks. It was a prefect match and everyone was impressed. We actually had a lot of complaints when we posted the pic on our old bike website and had to remove the photo. PT

Attach file:

jpg  (34.54 KB)
154_5bb5f9c286250.jpg 500X332 px

Posted on: 2018/10/4 6:30
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
That picture is the highlight of my morning :)

Posted on: 2018/10/4 8:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Roundsy

I was going to reply to your original post about your car but for some reason I couldn't find it.

Your car has a 356. I was in the Eastern Packard Club and President twice. I knew Dan reasonably well. He was in business with his brother Frank for many, many years, but Frank had passed away quite some time before I met Dan in 1988.

His shop was behind his home in New Milford, Connecticut. It was a one story cinder block building with two or three rooms. I don't remember a lift but he had an old fashioned lubrication pit. There was no pavement going to the building. Whatever car was in the building in November would be there until later in the spring.

i remember your car very well. It turned up in Connecticut one spring at the shows. This would be the late '90's, I think. It attracted a lot of attention from us as we didn't know it and it was flawless. Not only was it in very good shape but everything was absolutely correct. I remember talking with the owner once or twice. There was a story about it I don't remember, I'm not sure he realized what he had.

By the next spring it belonged to Dan. He had slowed down or retired and had sold his Custom Eight, so he needed a Packard. By the the annual EPC picnic in August it had the 356 in it. The hood was open the whole time with a crowd around e car.

I asked him about it.

"Oh , I went out back one morning into the garage and looked the engine in the corner and then the car. i wondered if it would fit"

"How much work was it?"

"A lot more than I though it was going to be".

"Did you change the front springs?"

"No. it's OK"

"How does it drive?"

"Like nothing I've ever driven before !"

I'm glad the car has turned up and is being taken care of. The EPC fell apart after the founding generation all died. Perhaps the best explanation is the club expired of a broken heart. I miss them.

There is an example of Dan's work in Packard, the Pride, by Juile Fenster. The 1937 Super Eight Victoria Coupe belonged to his sister in law Gloria Malumphy. Dan restored it. Gloria did the upohlstery. It was at every Annual Dinner and would some sort of award every year. I wish I had the funds to track it down and purchase it. We all loved that car.

It was originally black. The maroon it is now we called Malumphy Red. Unless a customer of his was strong willed, he would advise painting a car that color when it went through his shop...

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2018/10/4 22:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

Great stories and great history on the car, thanks for posting.

Posted on: 2018/10/5 1:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
Thank you John and others for information about this car. The story of how it got this motor is great. While I have not gotten to drive it as much as I would like I have to say it goes down the road like a dream and is a pleasure to drive. It still has some issues I can't afford to work out yet but I hope to be driving it again soon and I'm very grateful for all the information I've received here. For it's age the car really is very nice and Mr. Malumphy obviously took good care of it. Again, Thanks.
Don Rounds

Posted on: 2018/10/5 7:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
We'd all be interested to see how the 356 was fitted into this chassis and engine compartment, how about some pictures?

Steve

Posted on: 2018/10/5 8:13
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
G610885. I finally remembered to look again. I had to move the oil filter to see it but it's there. So it is indeed a 356 according to the chart.

Posted on: 2018/10/6 0:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved